Upgrad LLM

name change


what is the procedure to change the name, actually adding one  more world 

 ex:  rama naidu to  rama natha naidu 

for a minor in ANdhra pradesh...

DOB certificate available

passport also with the same name

what is the procedure and how much will it cost and whom to approach 




To change the name of a minor in the State of Andhra Pradesh, the Parent or the Guardian of such minor has to file an application to the District Magistrate, who will then issue, after making any reasonable inquiry, a certificate to the applicant, verifying the minor’s claim to the Indian citizenship. Then the applicant has to send an application, along with the certificate issued by the District Magistrate, to the Commissioner of Government Printing Press, for their publication in the Andhra Pradesh Gazette as a private advertisement (upon payment of requisite charges).

  • Requisite Documents for filing an application to the District Magistrate:-
  1. An application form in the form of Annexure III (Pg. 7 of the enclosed attachment file).
  2. Two passport sized photographs (colored & latest).
  3. Two independent certificates of citizenship, issued by Gazetted Officers.
  4. A personal affidavit, sworn and signed by the applicant, on a Non-judicial stamp paper (of Rs. 10/-), attested by the notary, stating the exact reason for changing the name of the minor.
  5. Any Educational Certificate from Class I to Class X, attested by Gazetted Officer.
  6. Certificate from Local Police Station, stating that the concerned minor hasn’t come to any adverse records in the last 5 years.
  7. A certificate from an Astrologer/Numerologist, only in case the request of change in the name is based on such reasons.
  • ‚ÄčCosts:-
  1. Charges for making the required Personal Affidavit.
  2. Charges for Publication:-
    Rs. 50/application in the Weekly Gazette, or
    Rs. 375/application in the Extra-Ordinary Gazette.
    Note – The payment is to be made to the Commissioner, Government Printing Press, through a Demand Draft or Bank Challan.
  3. Charges of any copies you make of the necessary documents (for practical purposes).

--- For those interested in the legal intricacies and documents related to the matter, kindly refer to the file attached with this answer.

The relevant Government Orders are as follows:-

  1. GO (P) No. 483, GA (General C), 8th December, 1977
  2. GO (P) No. 332 General Administration (Genl. C) Dept dated 06.06.1983
  3. Circular No. D5/7096/2003 of District Collector Hyderabad dated 30-08-2008

And these documents can also be found in the attached file with all the relevant Annexures mentioned.

You can procure the copies of the Publication in the Gazette for carrying it as a proof and the soft copies of the Gazette are also valid for the purpose.


*Birth Certificate*

  • Name included in the original Birth certificate:

If the name of the minor is already included in the Birth Certificate, you can get it changed by visiting the “Municipal & Administration Department” of the MEE SEVA Services. An application form has to be fulfilled for Correction in Birth Certificate.

Requisite Documents:-

  1. Application Form.
  2. Original Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Birth.
  3. Declaration by the Parents, attested by two Gazetted Officers.
  4. Notary affidavit on Non Judicial Stamp Paper of Rs. 10/-.
  5. Available Documentary Evidence (usually like Educational Certificates, Passport, etc.) – in this case, the copy of the Gazette Publication in which change of name was advertized.
  6. A letter from the Hospital authorities where the minor was born.

Note – Any requisite costs by the department can be confirmed at the MEE SEVA Services Centers.

  • Name not included in the original Birth certificate:

If the name of the minor wasn’t included in the Birth Certificate, originally, it can be later added to the Birth Certificate, in which case, it can be added after the name is changed directly by visiting the abovementioned department and filling of the relevant form for Child Name inclusion.

Requisite Documents:-

  1. Application Form.
  2. Original Birth Certificate.
  3. School Certificates of the minor.
  4. Notarized Affidavit.



For changing the name of a minor in the Passport, you must apply for the “Re-issue of Passport” on the ground of “a Major change in the name” (addition of a middle name, as suggested by you), either by visiting at your Regional Passport Seva Kendra, or the website.

Upon filling in the relevant details on this following link, the requisite documents will be displayed to you:

For convenience, the requisite documents for changing the name of a minor, under normal circumstances are as following:-
(Note – Kindly follow the link anyway and fulfill your particular details to get accurate information pertaining to your personal issue)

  1. Original Passport, with a self-attested photocopy of its first two and last two pages, and validity extension page, if any, in respect of short validity passport.
  2. A Declaration as per Annexure 'D'
  3. At least two public/school documents issued in the changed name to ascertain that the applicant has actually changed his/her name.
  4. Clippings of two local news papers or the Gazette notification of the concerned State Government, as in your case, the copy of the relevant Gazette Publication will be needed here.

You’ll have to visit the Local/Regional Passport Seva Kendra Office to submit these and apply for “Re-issue” of the Passport of the concerned minor.

  • Costs & Procedure:- The requisite costs and procedure for this process can be more accurately described by your Local/Regional Passport Seva Kendra Office.

Note – For minors, the applications have to be filed by the Parents or the Guardian and the documents requiring self-attestation can be attested by the Parents or Guardian.

----- Relevant Legal Document(s)

The Passport Rules, 1980


I hope this answer helps.

Attached File : 384364 20170607013506 782696402 name change procedure andhra pradesh.pdf downloaded 88 times

Notify in the Gazette.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x