LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rashmi (lecturer)     21 July 2014

Name change

I am married and have a kid. My husband forcing me to change the name after marriage. i am working as lecturer. By changing the name do i face any problem in my career? Should i change all the marks card form 10th std to masters? what is the procedure for name change? or can i retain my maiden name as well as changed name? and shall i transact by two names? what happens to my bank accounts , rd's and lic's ? please help me by giving information regarding this.


 4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Telangana state Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     21 July 2014

It is now perfectly legal for a woman to retain her maiden name after marriage. Now The radical rule says that "a wife who has not changed her name after marriage, by publishing in the official gazette, may continue to use her maiden name". The law is clear now: a woman is not obliged to take her husband's name after marriage. 

Madhu Mittal (Director)     09 July 2015

Respected Sir,

please answer Q. can i retain my maiden name as well as changed name?

Thanks with Regards,

rajagopal.s (Lawyer.)     10 July 2015


You do not need to change your maiden name  after marriage. it is not required as per law. 

however if you wish to change the name at your later date, the process is as under

Change your surname – Mostly for women after marriage.

·                    For all the above purposes there are TWO ways to do:
i.        An Affidavit cum Declaration that you were known as so and so and you wish to be henceforth known as so and so or there is change in the name etc etc.
(Procedure is listed below – Kindly continue reading)
ii.       Getting the change published in Gazatte issued by Government Press in the respective city.
(Ask for details in respective city and will provide address)


i.        The same needs to be on Rs. 100/- stamp Paper.
ii.       Get it typed on computer and print in on the Stamp Paper. No need of any fancy LEGAL writing on the same. (If need will supply the format – Kindly put in a request)
iii.              You will then need to get the same NOTARISED before a Notary. Don’t Pay more then Rs. 50 – Rs. 75/- to Notary.
iv.                Also make Two – Three copies of Original and get the same ATTESTED by the Notary. Rs. 10/- per copy is the normal charges.


i.        Get a simple form made available by Government Press.
There are Two type of form one is URGENT (YELLOW colour) – (Within 2-3 Weeks publication) another is NORMAL (WHITE colour) – (Within 6-8 Weeks publication)
ii.                 You will need to fill up a form which is made available free of cost at the Government Press of your city.
iii.              In the said form you need to fill in the details as required – like your old name, new name, old signature, new signature and address.
iv.                There are no documents which are required to be submitted along with the form.

Madhu Mittal (Director)     11 July 2015

Respected Sir,

Here what I want to know whether a lady can retain both names i.e 

Whether her both names 1. A khaitan D/o F Khaitan 2. A Mittal w/o H Mittal are legal names. Means can she retain both names legally for using them according to her will i.e. use either of them at will?

please answer as this query is also asked at expert threat at

Thanks in advance,


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads