LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hardeep (SE)     18 February 2013

Inter caste marriage in gurudwara

I am Sikh and my husband is 'non-Punjabi' . We got married in Dec 2012 in Gurudwara with all the family members and relatives present . Gurudwara committee had given the permission for Marriage(Lavan -Punjabi Phera) . Yesterday my Parents were asked to attend a meeting in some other gurudwara , where a lady (Punjabi neighbour) have given letters to all the gurudwaras in my city , stating , some action should be taken against my family and me for getting married in Gurudwara . This is not the first time she is doing this . She did the same for my sister's marriage (in 2010) . How can we take some legal action against her so that she stops harassing us all the time . 

Learning

1 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 February 2013

Gurudwara authroities who conducted your marriage cannot be fools.  They ought to know the law atleast better than that lady.  Gurudwara is not a language specific institution (although it is a fact the non-punjabi sikhs are small minority).  Your marriage is perfectly valid.

The fact is that :-

(i) You are s sikh and entitled to use Gurdwara for marriage (unless violating food/dress code of institution in ceremony).

(ii) being a sikh you are within definition of Hindu within Constitution of India and your marriage with anyone falling within such definition (including Jain Buddist) is a lwful one.

(iii) you have used Gurdwara services (I expect conducted by well enlightened granthi) for lawful purpose in lawful manner.

It appers from yur facts thaty you can  take criminal action for defamation and other allegations can be discussed by your advocate on seeing the papers.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register