LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Charu H. Malhotra (Sr. Software Engineer)     28 May 2013

Harassment & biasing in the work environment

I am working as a sr. S/w Engineer in a small private MNC for last 12 years. The hierarchy is very small in this company. Two years back I was moved to a different project, which was out of my domain area for which no On the Job Training was provided. Two more people were already working on this project for last 5 years & are well versed with the technology. I learnt the new technology on my own. Off lately, my supervisor has started biasing towards me. Every time for a module if I have any doubt she will tell me to search on my own, look into things on my own, & saying things I am non-competent and comparing juniors skills with my skill set. Recently, because of this I had a verbal dispute with her & I just told her that Team Leader's responsbility is to show correct path to the developer. She got so much annoyed and threatened me that she has stopped giving me work & started saying that I have behaviorial problem. The team leader is single & unmarried & above 40 yrs of age. She always tries to find fault in my work & start shouting on me in front of many juniors.

Are there any laws against such harassment at work. 

Learning

4 Replies

Reformist !!! (Other)     28 May 2013

Sorry Workplace Harrassment bill is not for men....:)

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 May 2013

If company has not initiated any action, has not issued any show cause notice: tackle the matter as handled in many companies of such size: counseling to both by seniors between closed doors and matter ends.

Initiate steps to firm up your next venture.

------“she has stopped giving me work & started saying that I have behaviorial problem. She always tries to find fault in my work & start shouting on me in front of many juniors.

In your kind of set up is it a precursor to separation?

Remain amiable, but alert. Do not leave any room for company to further charge you on any count.

Rude, unprofessional conduct, at workplace is not permissible to any one.

Employee should record such transactions (audio, visual, written for use at appropriate time in appropriate forum) and preferably put up to good offices of appointing authority, MD, Works Committee, Grievance Redessal Mechanism Head.

-----“ no On the Job Training was provided. I learnt the new technology on my own.”

This was the time to put it on record.

------“ Every time for a module if I have any doubt she will tell me to search on my own, look into things on my own, & saying things I am non-competent and comparing juniors skills with my skill set.”

This should have been checked, then and there.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     28 May 2013

Ask your managers to work closely with their teams and to support any issues that come up, or mistakes that might occur. Get everyone working together on finding a solution that everyone agrees on. If you have to, create a problem and ask everyone to work on it to find the answer.

Charu H. Malhotra (Sr. Software Engineer)     28 May 2013

Dear Sir, I am also a married woman with 2 kids.

The reason I have not reported this matter to any senior (next level of seniority is CEO -> last level) because he himself listens to her only. Whatever that lady tells is the final thing. This is going on for last so many years. & no one dares to say anything against my TL is because every one fears the termination of the job.

It had once happened to one of the employee long time back. He was forced to resign. where he is right now, no one knows.

The CEO of the company must be knowing all this, because she sits late night and discuss all the things with him. 

I just wanted to know, is there any law against such types of harassment at work.

She simply told me...if you want to work. you have to work as I say..or you can go and talk to the CEO. If he likes you to be sitting idle, its his wish. But I wont take you in my team.

Since its a small company, there are only two development teams. The earlier team's projects were going to end, so they transferred me to this new project. The former team is now managing some new projects.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register