LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

javed khan   01 August 2019

Duped of money using UPI

A couple of days ago, I was duped of Rs.19,980 through PayTM and Google Pay using UPI. The fraudster imposted himself as my father's friend and quoting medical emergency asked for 5,000 from my father. He in turn asked me to transfer this amount to that person's a/c and I did that. Later on the imposter called back saying it was an error on his part that he called the wrong person and will send back our money. He however said he will pay back through a shop nearby who uses GPay. Since he turned out to be a complete stranger and there was no chance of getting money back after this, we had no option but to get onto GPay which I had never used before. I set up my UPI after download GPay and we called him again to send back our money. He handed over his phone to the 'so-called' shopkeeper. He said he will send Rs.10 first and if it goes through, he'll send the rest. I accepted his request and by the time those Rs.10 were credited, there were 3 more transactions of 5000, 4,990 and 4.990 debited from my a/c. I have raised a token at PayTM, GPay (who never replied) and my bank who are looking into it. I have already filed a police complaint too (they refused to file an FIR upfront, so just a complaint on plane paper!). But I am having vibes that nothing is moving in the right direction.

I request the hon'ble lawyers' fraternity to suggest a course of action that will actually yield results in this matter.

Regards

Learning

4 Replies

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     02 August 2019

You need to file a complaint with the cyber cell of the local police station.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     02 August 2019

First make a complaint in customer service demanding for immediate credit of the amounts wrongly debited and seek complete information on payee particulars.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     02 August 2019

Complainat to Cyber Cell of your local police station. Cybercrime is an evolving form of transnational crime. The complex nature of the crime as one that takes place in the border-less realm of cyberspace is compounded by the increasing involvement of organized crime groups. Perpetrators of cybercrime and their victims can be located in different regions, and its effects can ripple through societies around the world, 

javed khan   02 August 2019

Thank you for your suggestions gentlemen, appreciate that. Filed police complaint same night when this happened. They don't have a cyber cell in their police station and said they themselves would transfer this case to cyber team located elsewhere (they informed us where it is). I believe (as per what police said to me), my application may either have reached cyber cell or may reach in a day or two. Worth noting lapse - the number that duped me has not been disposed off yet. It is still in use and is switched on by that thug very occasionally. Whenever he does that, I get to know about it (through a message by service provider) and one can call him wherein it rings too. But obviously he doesn't answer. This may help police to track his location.

Mr. Prasad - I have confronted both PayTM and GPay. PayTM is just communicating over chat and despite providing them all the information and screenshots of fraud, nothing yet. And taking this all a step further, GPay said "its just a platform to facilitate payment and has got nothing to do with it" and that I should contact my bank only. So even though we have that thug's phone# and so called unique UPI id, no one is ready to help!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register