LIVE Online Course on Indian Constitution by Dr. Ravishankar Mor. Register Now!!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Omprakash   02 April 2018



  Omprakash     02 April 2018I am a retired person receiving 20 k as pension.I am old and having bad health which needs care.I have spent all my savings on the edcn of my sons around 2000 k, and am now in a bad state economically. My sons are working in Mnc earning lakhs pm, and now they the all three treat me as a liability My wife works in a bank earning 100 k pm and is very ambitious arrogant and scheming, when I complained to his brother regarding this she got irritated and since last five months has deserted me and living in a rented house, she has also instigated my sons fulfilling all their reasonable and irreasonable demands, all the three have boycotted me. In order to justify all this socially she has been defaming me of cruelty, which is absolutely untrue.There is no one to take care of me, What can I do in such a situation?


 3 Replies

Siddharth Jain   03 April 2018

You can file an application under Section 125 Cr. PC or under Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act.The only condition for claiming maintenance under the said Acts is that the persons must be unable to maintain themselves from their own earnings and property.
You should try to settle the matter with your wife amicably, and if things don't look positive, you can file for divorce, either by mutual consent or on grounds of cruelty and desertion.
For any other queries, contact me at

Siddharth Jain   03 April 2018

Didn't you read the query yourself. Firstly, a pensioner can also clam maintenance, if he/ she is unable to maintain themselves, so the 20,000 received as pension doesn't bar the querist to take maintenance. Secondly, anyone can file divorce.
2 Like

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     03 April 2018

Posted by: Nitish Banka  Categories: Uncategorized 


Divorce by Desertion

Desertion is also ground for divorce in India, but the most difficult part is how to prove desertion in court of law. A layman may think desertion as his/her spouse is living separately for the period of 2 years that’s it.

But actually what courts in India require are the 4 things which areto be established by the spouse who is seeking divorce on this ground.

1.. Animus deserendi-This means the intention to desert, if husband or wife decides to leave the martial co habitation as they does not want to continue with martial obligations or may be called husband/wife under the eyes of the society this means they have developed animus deserendi, once this intention is formed this fulfills one criteria for proving desertion.

Now this intention can be from both sides or may be a constructive animus deserendi, In constructive animus deserendi when one of the spouse asks the other spouse to leave the house or leave him/her that is constructive animus deserendi other the other form is that the a spouse can leave the other spouse with his/her own will that is willful desertion. in both the situation the affected spouse i.e the spouse which was made to leave in the case of constructive animus deserendi or the spouse which was left alone can pursue the proceeding for divorce if other requirements are satisfied.

2. Separation- Now the  Animus deserendi is followed by actual separation, now this separation can be physical or mental one, normally itrs the physical one here the actual action takes place merely forming an intention or telling a spouse that I will leave you is not suffice if it is not followed by some action. Merely an action without the intention is also not suffice both intention to leave and followed by action is mandatory in proving desertion.Sometime there is first physical separation and then followed by intention and sometimes its vice versa, both should takes place for a continuous period of 2 years.

3. No reasonable just cause to leave- There should not be any reasonable cause available to the spouse who is leaving the matrimonial ties, generally cruelty is alleged by defending spouse to defeat the proceedings of desertion in such cases the burden is on the defending spouse to prove cruelty by examining witnesses and medical examinations etc. But if defending spouse fails to prove any of the just causes then this ingredient stand proved.

4. without the consent- if the deserting spouse does not consents such desertion this final ingredient also stands proved, but how to prove this ingredient? now let us suppose a spouse leaves then there must be continuous efforts from the other side to b ring back the spouse, it should not be the case where the other spouse sits mutely while the other spouse has deserted. efforts should be made to render reconciliation. here contact with parents, mother father or other relatives are essential. reconciliation at its own level at first and then involvement of relative is essential, this would satisfy the court that deserted spouse never consented for such a desertion.

Proving all the aforementioned ingredients are essential to prove desertion i n court, if any one element is missing divorce cannot be granted. Gene really cases fall short in 3rd and 4th ingredient. merely living separately even willfully does not guarantee divorce to deserting partner.

Nitish Banka

( Advocate Supreme court)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query