Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

aishwarya (freelance writer)     16 January 2010

Elder Brother not ready to give share of Ancestral Property

My friend Sheetal's father has asked the following question:

We have a piece of land in Village Saswane, Taluka Alibaug, and District Raigad. The land measures 18 Gunthas. My father died in 1948 leaving me, my elder brother, my two sisters and my mother behind. My mother died in 1999.Currently my elder sister is 75 years of age,elder brother 70 years and one more elder sister age 65 and myself 63.

My elder brother is an advocate in High court. It was decided amongst us in Nov 2007 that the above land must be divided in four parts. As per it was decided, that I would be keeping the land of my share and the remaining 3 parts would be sold. The part that I wish to keep consists of a house built by me.  I have done all the expenses including maintenance of the house. The part I wish to keep does not come in the way of transaction.Therefore, there was no objection from my brother and sisters end, infact they were all happy.

Now , he says that division is not necessary and everybody can enjoy the property when

he very well knows that practically my sisters cannot go there due to their age.

My brother says even if the property is divided into two parts he still has the right to occupy the half part of the house which is constructed by me by spending a huge amount.

If the property is divided and the area which has the house is given as my share. How can he claim the half part of the house?

As far as my knowledge is concerned whatever trees, structure, rocks on the land parted to me, belong solely to me and no one has the right to enter the house compound or house without my permission. This may please be confirmed.

Secondly, my both sisters have married in 1956 and 1967 respectively .Do they have the right in share of above property or   not  &  if   no , whether if we desire to give them some portion in cash or in kind whatever possible to us to give   them being the legal heirs is it possible .Please confirm

Learning

9 Replies

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     16 January 2010

Well the issue being among family members, i suggest the parties first to negotiate among themselves and sort the issue amicably.  Failing which you shall file a suit for partition of property.  It is the only remedy.  In the suit you shall say that the house was constructed on your cost and all other details of your expected share in the land.  A house cannot be partitioned and as per the partition act it can only be sold to realise and distribute the benefits to the parties.  (But if the property is able to be divided into equal halves without disturbing the house built thereon then there will not be any sale of the house). 

As regards the elder sister married in 1956, I am doubtful whether she will get share, because the Hindu Succession Act came into force on 1956 only and the details of month of marriage if provided may be useful to reply better.

The second sister being married in 1967 has share in the property.  It is upto the sisters and their legal heirs to accept anything in return to release their rights over the property and it is possible.

1 Like

aishwarya (freelance writer)     16 January 2010

Hello, thank you for this reply. I will inform sheetal's parents about this. Negotiations have failed already. Sheetal's dad had already sent a letter stating the division of the property but her uncle laughed on it and told everyone to shut up! He said that he does not want further discussions on this subject.

Her father didn't send a registered post to her uncle. Do you think it is necessary to send a registered post so that it can be used as a proof in the court?

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     16 January 2010

It is best to send a legal notice through registered post with acknowledge due (RPAD) and then file a suit.

niranjan (civil practice)     16 January 2010

If I have understood the pedigree is this : Sheetal"s father, his uncle who is advocate,and two father's sisters. So two brothers and two sisters. Sheetal's grand father and grand mother are dead.If Sheetal's father is in possession of the house and his share,i do not thi nk that he should start partition suit,let others do.Make sure that sheetal's father's property is entered into the relevant record of local government.And if Advocate uncle is trying to take half share in his possession,sheetal's father can file the suit for declaration and permanent injunction.

R.K.SUNDERRAJ (LAWYER HUBLI,KARNATAKA)     28 January 2010

The suggesstion made by Niranjan Sir is apt and appropriate  and to the point.I agree with the views.

aishwarya (freelance writer)     05 February 2010

mr. krishna,

sheetal's father has sent a legal notice and a registered letter at her uncle's current residenee. But he has not accepted it. He has tried to show that he doesn't stay there but stays in sheeta's grandfather's house in Matunga. He has even registered his office at the matunga address.  What should sheetal's father do in such a case?

sheetal's grandfather had purchased one room in a chawl when he came to mumbai 75 years back.

Sheetal's uncle registered the office without the consent of her father. It is a rented property.

It is a rented room not property

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register