LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AMIT ALIMCHANDANI (CEO)     05 December 2012

Capital gains on sale of industrial property

I am proprietor of a company and have sold our manufacturing unit due to dire circumstances. The unit with land and building was purchased in the year 2007 for 40 lakhs and we have sold the same in 2012 for 90 lakhs. After selling we have cleared our debtors including bank loan of 45 lakhs on the same. i would like to know the capital Gains tax to be paid in my case. There is lot of confusion as everybody gives different feedback. Mainly, the unit is sold to clear the bank loan; will that be considered for deduction and then CG calculated ? Do i have to invest only in industrial property or can i reinvest in a office space or a residential house ??

Learning

3 Replies

Vineet (Director)     06 December 2012

it is not clear whether you have sold the business as a whole under slump sale or only land and building. presuming only land and building, the capital gain will be calculated by reducing indexed cost of land and tax wdv of building from sale consideration. you have to bifurcate sale consideration between land and building. capital gain on sale of land is long term and you can save tax by investing in capital gains bond or new residential house. for gain on sale of building, you have to pay tax. no deduction for loan rapid is available as the same has been factord into cost.

C. P. CHUGH (Practicing Lawyer)     15 December 2012

Dear Amit,

Rightly opined by Mr Vineet. Sale of Land and Building would attract Long Term Capital Gain and you are liabile to discharge your obligation under the Act. However certain exemptions are available under section 54EC, 54F subject to certain conditions laid down in these sections. It would be better if your consult your local Tax consultant.

Deepak Whorra (Partner)     13 February 2013

But the important question is : What is the criteria for bifurcation of the Sale Value between Land and the Building. It is apparent that the sale is above the circle rates values and the property has been sold as a composite unit.. So on what basis will the SALE Value in EXCESS of  the combined Circle Rate Value of the land  & Buildiing be allocated between Land and building to arrive at LTCG and STCG.

a) Will the circle rate of the Land be considered as value of Land and the residual value allocated to the value of the Building ?

b) Will a valuation Report be required even though the sale is above the circle rates  ( not required under Sec 50 C ?

c) Will the bifurcation be made as per the ratios of the book values of the Land and Building or the ratios of the circle rates of the two respectively ?

d) Any other method of bifurcation.

Recently I am facing such an issue and , upon discussion, have found that many other people are confronted with a similar question. There seem to be no case laws that clearly define this criteria in a sale of composite property

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register