LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Suman Adithya Rao   18 January 2023

Can we form 'plot owners association'? if yes, under which act do we register?

Dear Members, 

We are a group of plot owners in 'Bangalore Rural' looking to form an association. Would like to know under which registration act does plot owners association can be registered? Please note, we cannot register as 'Resident Welfare Association' as we not not yet residents of the layout. These are plots which we have all bought from a builder & the sites are DTCP approved. Please let us know, how to proceed further.

Thank you,



 4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     18 January 2023

As per the provision of state Societies Registration Act, 2001, society can be registered in the office of the Registrar in which district the society is intended to be established. Registration of society will have legal recognition, and it will be possible to run society legally with discipline.

2 Like


This is the correct procedure. Though it will be a land owners co-operative society, however, request to kindly prepare a very very well knitted Bye-laws and full of honest rules and regulations.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     21 January 2023

It all depends on the purpose for which you want to form the association. In the first place you must have a constitution,byelaws or articles of association or a set of rules known by any other. These (constitution or other states the purpose, rights and obligations of the members and rights of the association over the members. Regisration under Societies Registration Act is generally for charitable organisation. It is generally a voluntary organisation and the obligations of members are limited. In many States associations registered under the Societies Registration Act should compelsorily register under the Public or Private Trusts Act also.

If you intend to construct buildings, then you can register under the co-operative societies act or under the companies act. Under these acts the associations can have demands on its members.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 February 2023

You can form any Association and get it registered as well as long as its objectives ar enot illegal / unconsitutional / against public morality.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register