LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

leekuanm Beniwal (Business Analyst)     04 April 2010

Can I Second marriage with my Sister -In-Law

I am married man, age 32 yrs, with two childrens. I love to my 16 yrs old sister in law as well as she is also love me very much. we are planning to go marriage after she geting 18 yrs. can i marry to her while I m a Govt. employee? I want live with my present wife & sister in law. my wife have no objection from this. she gave me permission for marry with her sister. is this possible? suggest me any law or rule?


 44 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     04 April 2010

technically the marriage will be illegal.


but if someone is to object to this marriage or bigamy, it will be your wife....and as per the situation at your end there is no such objection....so enjoy.


your second marriage may not be registered or registrable but still you can continue with the knot


there are a lot many examples, in India, of bigamous marriages....

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     04 April 2010

If you are Govt employee, you cannot marry for a second time.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     04 April 2010

Sir, let me make correction please.  You cannot marry for a second time where the first marriage subsists, if you are a Govt servant.

mahendrakumar (marketing)     04 April 2010

great,you are 32 and planning to marry your sister in law of 16 years and your wife agreeing to it.

i pity your wife. i am sorry to state so as it is a legal forum and nobody ask the morality of the same.

leekuanm Beniwal (Business Analyst)     04 April 2010

why I can't second marriage, if I & my wife, my sister in law, all are agree. actually I want live with my sister in law and as well as my wife, but my father in law can't agree that she is living with us. so I am going to plan for a marriage with her. she is agreed at all level but she can't live without me? bydwae The God any God or king in indian hindu history, there is one or more wife is lived with them. then why am I? The GOD balaji, Vishnu, Shiv etc all lived with two wife. they are all hindu. so, please suggest me any way of marriage with her. if she planned sucide than how can I manage my life or my wife? please suggest me any option.

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     04 April 2010

arey kar lo marriage, who stops u?


unless and until ur first wife objects to it there should not be any trouble.


who will be able to prove that you have married twice?

1 Like

leekuanm Beniwal (Business Analyst)     04 April 2010

sorry sir, u r angry,

but please understand my feelings. if is there are 01% chance too in indian law/acts. then pl' tell me, I will marry according with that acts/law.

sir please. 

Suryanarayana Tangirala (Advocate)     04 April 2010

Suchitra u mean to say can a Private Emplyoee/Businessman marry again during subsistence of first marriage?


Dear Lee kuan mainwal,

Dont try to become lord Shiva!!!! who is stopping u to marry by the way only ur father-in-law?u can manage life from Jail or u can as well become Lord Lee after marrying two like Lord Shiva or u can as well plan for even after life if u r sis-in-law commits suicide and leaves a suicide note.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     04 April 2010

Suryanarayana Sir, I was referring to The Central Civil Services (conduct)  Rules , 1964. I know bigamy is an offence. And the only person who can sue the husband is his first wife.

Parthasarathi Loganathan (Advocate)     04 April 2010

Get married for the second time and prepared to loose your job as per conduct rules prescribed by Central Govt for the act of bigamy.  Choice is yours.


u get married to her but take few precautions

call ur wife to attend that marriage

take full video n photo coverage that your wife was present in marriage

if possible get a writtent consent from her for your s4econd marraige stating that she cannot fulfil matrimonial obligations secondary to spiritual / physical issues.

only your wife has a right to file case aginst u.

dont enter her (SIL ) name in any register as your wife

TRY not to give an6y proof of marriage to anyone including ur wives

if poosible marry in presence of your wife only so no witness is there

morale of the story u cant marry her legally, but you can marry her unless someone has proof to prove her as your wife.

this just an opinion legally, for moral and emotional opinion u will seee some replies to this post in sometime :)

mahendrakumar (marketing)     05 April 2010

lee do you call it love?what is the name of feeling you are having towards your wife?common man,identify the real feeling.  You have  a s*xual infatuation to the young sister in law.thats all.

If your wife want to have another one as husband,as you desire,will you agree to it?

CS Pooja (Company Secretary)     05 April 2010

Mr. Mainwal,

Let me not be a judge, but only a guide to your query.

If you want to be legally correct, I suggest you to divorce your wife, and then marry your Sister in law.  In this way, you can stay with both of these ladies. Law doesnt stop your divorced wife from staying with you. 

Members, pl correct, if I am wrong.

2 Like

manish singh (HR Executive)     05 April 2010

Bigamy is an offence under IPC so don't do it, make it justify in the eye of law and Divorce should be your 1st step after that you can marry once again.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register