Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sivakumar (Consultant)     15 February 2013

Amendment to rent control law

Hai

I own a property in Chennai that I rented out to a tenant. I had problem collecting the advance as the advance cheque got bounced. He said he lost his job and hence do not have the money in bank and has settled for another job and will pay in coming months. But he did not paid the advance and has not paid rent regularly.

I have entered 11 month rental agreement with him and as per the agreement I gave him one month notice to vacate the house. He agreed and signed the vacation notice but did not vacate in one month. He send legal notice and files a suit on small causes court.

He has not paid rent to me for the past six months and after doing a background check on him, it was found that he has filed a similar suit against his previous owner also and has not paid rent for 18 months. His main motive is to file a suit and not pay rent.

Is there a provision in law for the court to make the tenant to pay rent during this dispute period. IF not will it help to appeal to the law commission of India to make amemdment in rent control law to direct the tenants to pay rent while the case is on going in the court through court.

I am also working towards getting an eviction order and I also understand that the previous house owner also obtained eviction order to vacate this tenant.

Appreciate everyone feedback

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register