LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     01 January 2010

All court orders can now be challenged

The Centre on Thursday notified a significant amendment that will allow a victim to file an appeal against a court order in a move which can empower the common man who often fails to get justice because of inefficiency or corruption of prosecuting agencies. 

The new amendments to Code of Criminal Procedure -- that have been kept in abeyance for almost a year -- have also laid down procedures for the protection of rape victims seeking punishment for their tormentors. 

The code gives victims the right to appeal against a court order acquitting an accused, or convicting the accused of a lesser offence. Under the amended Section 372 of CrPC, the victim will not need the permission of any law enforcement or prosecuting agency to appeal a court order. Currently, an appeal can be made only if the prosecution so decides -- a lacuna which allows the rich and the powerful who can influence the prosecution to get away, literally, with murder. 

Public outrage over the acquittal of those accused of the murder of Jessica Lal and in other similar high-profile cases in the Capital and other big cities have lately pushed the government to appeal controversial orders. But these instances pale into insignificance when seen against the innumerable instances where prosecution has refused to go the whole length to help victims of crimes. 

"The provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Act 2008, except Sections 5, 6 and 21 (b) have been notified and they will come into force on December 31," home minister P Chidambaram said.

The amended CrPC stipulates that an arrested person shall be examined immediately by a medical officer to protect the interests of the accused. 

Another significant amendment is meant to encourage rape victims to report their oppressors. It has been laid down that the statement of a rape victim shall be recorded at her residence and, as far as practical, by a woman police officer in the presence of the victim's parents or guardian, or a social worker. 

Trial in a rape case should be completed within two months as far as possible and provision has been made for video recording of statements or confessions. 

An important amendment has been incorporated in a new Section 357A making it mandatory for state governments to prepare a scheme for providing funds for compensating the victim of a crime or her dependents. 

The government has, however, kept on hold certain provisions of CrPC that relate to the power of a police officer to make an arrest and the power of the court to grant or refuse adjournments. These amendments include barring police from arresting an accused for an offence that carries a maximum punishment of seven years without first issuing him/her a notice of appearance. The amendment to Section 309, aimed at speeding up trials, disallowed the granting of adjournments on flimsy grounds. 

A statement issued by the home ministry said, "Representations were received against these provisions. Hence, they were referred to the Law Commission. The Law Commission held consultations and submitted its report... It could not be introduced in the last session of Parliament and will be introduced in the budget session. Pending the passage of the amendment bill and pending a debate in Parliament, it has been decided not to notify these three provisions for the present."  




 13 Replies

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     01 January 2010

Thank you Prakash.

Ziaur Rahman ( Practice)     01 January 2010


Where did you get the notification? There is a news in news papers but MHA web site is silent. Could you please provide the reference of the  Gazette notification?

Devajyoti Barman (Advocate)     01 January 2010

Under Section 378 of CRpc appeal against the order of acquittalcan be preferred in absence of permission of  PP or DM if the High Court grants leave.Only appeal before Sessions court requires such permission.

Adv. T.K Sujith (lawyer)     02 January 2010

Thank u Prakash Sir...

anish awasthi (Proprietor)     02 January 2010

 can supreme court order be challenged too. is the judge bound by law to give a certain judgment. if so how are so many judgments reversed. why is it that 99% of the general public clearly sees the guilt but the supreme court judge does not think so, as happened in supreme court judgment favouring s.p.s. rathore recently. is it a coincidence that the same judge was involved in so much controversy in the delhi sealing  case too. 

Attached File : 31 31 supreme court judgement favouring s p s rathore.doc downloaded: 169 times


Thanks Prakash for the informative message.

Shamsheer Pal Singh Dhillon (law associate)     09 January 2010

Hello Sir,

I wanted to know that, and you must be aware itself that the defence has set up their own tribunal in dealing with their own cases? can a judegement by that tribunal be challengeable in civil or high courts as the matter is?

girishankar (manager)     16 February 2010

Thanks Prakash Sir is any thing just like this for Civil cases...

Rajiv Chauhan (Advocate) (Advocate (Shimla) 7833999000)     11 March 2010

sir, thanks for the important information

girishankar (manager)     11 March 2010

Thanks Prakash Sir is any thing just like this for Civil cases...

Krishnaditya Chakraborty (Lawyer)     20 July 2010

Does the new amendment of section 372 of CrPC, have any retrospectiv or prospective effect?

Parvesh (AIA)     20 July 2010

Has this gone into effect now?

Robert Johnson   04 February 2021

Thank you for sharing this information. Your blog is really I like the quality of content written by your writers. Do share on social media. Sharing valuable content is always a good way to enhance knowledge. <a href="https://www.coolastro.com/angel-number-333-meaning-and-symbolism/">333 meaning</a>

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register