Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Abuse of Sec 8(1)(a) RTI Act 2005

Dear All

Let me att one reply recd from Canteen Stores Department, Adelphi , Mumbai against my queries on the issue of registration numbers to the URCs( Unit Run Canteens) by the Regular Military Units as well as other civil establishments( Who are not even eligible for availing CSD facilities at the first place. In my post earlier i have highlighted how Min of Def in collusion CDA est /staff are running more than 38 URCs for their civilian employees.

The reply from the Canteen Stores Deptt shows that how Sec 8 (1)(a) of the RTI Act 2005 can be put to gross misuse. Unfortunately CIC and the ICs have not been able to create the fear of God  amongst such wrongdoers.

Will somebody help me to logde a complaint online to CIC , New Delhi against the such wrongdoers?

Haridas Mandal

Learning

12 Replies

(Guest)

Dear Sir, please email us copies of your application and reply from PIO. You can also send the same to Surajya Sangharsh Samiti Pune at rtipudhari@gmail.com

1 Like

(Guest)

Dear Sri Ram Samudre

I have mailed the info rtipudhari@gmail.com and waiting for a reply.

Regards

(Guest)

Dear Sir 

I have just emailed my complaint to vigilance@nic.in. It was in the form of my last application sent to Fin Minister as follows:-

To 
The Hon'ble Fin Minister
Govt of India 
New Delhi

Sub - Reporting of corrupt practices by the office of CDA ( Running of URCs)

Respected Sir

Left with no alternative I am approaching your esteemed office to highlight how a watch dog like that of Controller of Defence Accounts (CDA) is compromising on principles well laid down and abusing the power of its offices only to run their own Unit Run Canteens (38 of them) for their own employees though not even eligible for CSD facilities which is meant solely for the troops.

Canteen Stores Department is a solely owned Govt undertaking and functions under the aegis of Min of Defence. Canteen Stores Department is responsible to provide household goods and liquors at rates cheaper than the prevailing market rates to the Unit Run Canteens ( URCs).exclusively for the troops (www.csdindia.com). It is funded from the consolidated fund of India. Its sole purpose is. It is not to be commercially profitable at any cost. Over the years strength of troops has remain static rather in the decline whereas Canteen Stores Department is on the extreme expansion mode adding Depot after Depot at a huge cost the govt exchequers. This is because CSD is adding clientele from the non-eligible categories .This is resulting into additional expenditures Canteen Stores Departments to cater for the unauthorized Unit Run Canteens selling CSD goods to anybody and everybody. The sale of CSD goods to the non-eligible categories is huge in comparison. It is generating huge profits for private use as URCs are stated to be private enterprises. It is shocking that Min of Finance is allocating a huge chunk of money to the Min of Def simply to generate huge profits for the private enterprises. 

Whereas the CSD canteens strategically rechristened as URCs (Unit Run Canteens) are the exclusive Retail Outlets of the Canteen Stores Department run by the respective military units in their unit locations( These were run by contractors earlier ) . For the large military units CSD canteens are auth in their respective PE/WE (Peace Est/ War Est ) and is included in the KLP ( Key Location Plan ) where applicable. A nominal license fee and allied charges is levied to the military unit when a URC start selling CSD goods at a rate cheaper than the prevailing market rates to the troops. For other small and minor units/formation headquarters application to run a URC is initiated by the commanding officer/officer commanding of that unit as per the laid down procedures. It is then recommended by the commanders in the chain of command and approved by the competent authority i.e the formation commander. The application duly approved is then forwarded to the Canteen Stores Depot Adelphi , Mumbai which finally accept or reject the application based on laid down procedures. Once registered the new URC starts functioning drawing CSD goods from the designated nearest CSD depot. Based on the actual built up/open land occupied by the URC License fee and the allied charges are deposited to the govt exchequers. As is common knowledge this facility is extended to serving as well as retired armed forces personnel. Over the years the CSD facility (grocery only ) had been extended to defence civilians paid out of defence estimates with certain conditionalities attached. However there is no mention of this benevolent act in any of the govt order and hence legally unsupported. Profits accrued from the sale of CSD goods by the URCs including the quantitative rebates received from the Canteen Stores Deptt is merged with the respective Regimental Fund of a military unit . A certain portion is then ploughed back for modernisation/ sustenance of the URC.  There are well laid down Defence Services Rules for accounting and usage of the Regimental Funds held by a military unit .

Controller Of Defence Accounts on the other hand is the department under the aegis of ministry of defence which is responsible that every penny allotted to the military unit is judiciously spent. In other words it is watchdog of the govt of India to ensure military commanders maintain financial discipline in the larger interest of the country. It is well known that CDA staff is central govt employees and covered under CCS Rules.CDA staff are paid out of Def Civil Estimates. In no way CDA staff can be termed as troops and hence eligible for CSD facility. As has been highlighted earlier no URC can start functioning in any part of the country in govt or civil hired accommodation in any military/ non military station unless the same is recommended/approved by the local commanders/ formation commanders and then registered by the Canteen Stores Department. Any additional URC has its rippling effect on the staff strength in the respective Depot as well as in the CSD headquarters at Mumbai . Canteen Stores Deptt is a solely owned govt undertaking , hence is has to be additionally funded by the govt of India. Terming a CDA Est a military Unit and recommending its running a URC for selling of CSD goods to their civilian employees covered under CCS Rules (terming them as troops ) by the respective military commanders is a sure sign of decay in the military standard. It is obvious such acts have not been done as an act of benevolence but with vested interest. It is further distressing how the authorities at the Canteen Stores Department had taken shelter under an Army order and admitted those applications from the CDA Staff/Est duly recommended by the military commanders at all level knowing them to be ineligible in all respects.

Coming back to the real issue i.e running of 38 URCs by the CDA Staff/ Est was challenged by the undersigned as unauth and illegal as the Army Order 584/73  was not an appropriate auth for the CDA staff /Est to seek registration from the Canteen Stores Deptt , Mumbai for running their own URCs to sale CSD goods to their own employees. CDA Est are neither a formation Headquarters nor a Military Unit eligible to run their own URCs. CDA staff is not troops and no way under Armed Forces Act. 
On my RTI query to the Army auth as to how and under whose order the said Army order empowering CDA staff/Est to run their own URC when the employees of the CDA Est are not even eligible for the canteen facilities I have been provided with the reply vide PIO RTI cell IHQ of MoD New Delhi letter No dated     copy att as at appx    . I can be seen from the extracts of BOCCA minutes of meeting in 1986 that personnel of audit department were permitted to draw grocery as a goodwill gesture whereas the COAS had published that said AO 584/73 way back in 1973 which is being taken as the most abused auth in the humankind. It also highlights that Military commanders at all levels in collusion with the Canteen Stores Deptt Officials as well the Bureaucrats in the ministry of defence have allowed such clandestine operations to continue for such a long time though the COAS meanwhile continue to publish orders reminding its men in uniform on the exact eligibility criterion for availing CSD facilities from the URCs eg Army Order 32/84. Army Order 32/84 as well as 19/2003 debars any defence paid civilian employees from availing CSD facility from the URC.   
In gist Army Order 584/73 and its subsequent avatars if any cannot be regarded as the valid auth for CDA staff/Est to run their own URCs. The expansion of Canteen Stores Department by including those non-eligible categories clandestinely is neither the objective of the Canteen Stores Deptt nor desirable. Unlike the military units which has a Regimental Fund and a settled objectives Canteen Stores Deptt cannot seen allowing a private URC ( 38 of them ) to make huge profits by selling CSD goods to its civilian non-eligible employees . These profits are then paid as dividends to the civilian employees who are ill motivated to neglect their primary role i.e to audit the accounts of the military units and to expand at any cost as it increases the dividend package besides the salary as well as extra pay from the URC.
This has further rippling effects on the defence civilians paid from defence estimates . They contribute to the tune of 600 cores per year to the kitty of Regimental Fund use or mis-used by the military commanders . They are demanding for a long time a similar cut for their welfare. Army auth denying this measure stating those are not even eligible for the canteen facilities in the first hand .Therefore in one hand the auditors are encouraged to run their own URCs ( 38 of them ) in one hand , make profit and get dividends , on the other hand defence civilians who are contributing appx 600 cores per year is denied any return on their purchases.
I have informed the Concerned auth at the Army Headquarters , the Canteen Stores Deptt , The Min of Defence , The Defence audit , The CVC and the CAG about such floundering of rules costing cores to the exchequers to pile up private profits by the CDA Est.
I have made representation to the Deptt of personnel for grievances as well as to the PMO. Reply recd, as applicable is discouraging. It is a sure case of appeasing at the highest level. Mega Scam/ Scandals of the defence will not seize if such wrongful acts are carried out for personal benefits at the cost of govt exchequers . Further expansion of CSD’s domain at any cost to make private profits is not at all desirable 
It is my onerous duty to abide by the rule of this land before I take the matter to the court for a legal recourse .I am convinced that Rakshaks the Bhakshaks be exposed . The collusion of the highest ranking officials including the military top brasses is exposed . It is my duty to bring to your kind notice that audit authorities should not be encouraged to remain passive and evasive. We the people of India are no more amused to score the highest in Transparency International Ranking in respect to corruption. It is this artful dodging of rules of this land at the highest level which ensure 75 % of our population  remains hapless hopeless and worthless. It is this territory which must be attacked with no mercy shown to those educated thugs. They are our worst enemy within.
The Army orders , Govt orders , the web site referred are available with your govt offices and hence not being att to avoid duplication. Due consideration therefore may kindly given to this aspect.
May I therefore request your august office to ack my submission and issue such directives to stop such wrongdoing forthwith and to act ruthlessly against the wrongdoers at the military ranks and files , MoD, CDA , Def Audit , CAG and Canteen stores Deptt .
I am submitting the details with full faith that the Army Order 584/73 or its amended version to    empower CDA staff/Est be immediately withdrawn. All URCs run CDA staff/Est be ordered closed and all funds/assets ordered transferred /merged with the consolidated fund of India .
This should be treated as my last communication to the concerned govt dept and to the constitutional auth. If no action is taken within 20 days of receipt of this communication , the undersigned shall have no further obligation before submitting a PIL to the High Court of AP.

Yours sincerely 
Haridas Mandal
So far I have got no reply and trying my level best within my mean resources to file a PIL in AP High court. I am also attaching my application status to CIC which had not admitted my submission stating signed copy required whereas I have submitted my complaint/appeal online, a facility which is available.

earch Results

Number of results found: 2 : Results for Direct Complaint / Second Appeal No.
S.No. File Number/
Date Submitted/
Complaint / Appeal No.
Submitted By/
Address
Public Authority Status
1. -
22-07-2010
RC/UG/10/87448328
Mr. haridas mandal Department of Defence Signed copy awaited
2. -
25-05-2010
RC/UG/10/5965ub4a
Mr. Haridas Mandal Ministry of Defence Signed copy awaited

Pl advice how to wake up CIC staff at Delhi .
Regards
Haridas

(Guest)

Dear All

I need urgent advice please. This scam is bigger badder than the 2G scam in size but none seems interested?

Can anybody helps me present it in a better way?

Regards

Haridas

(Guest)

Dear Sir 

I have done that also but haven't received any reply from them either.

Arun Gupta (social activist)     13 May 2011

Hi Mr Mandal

I am also following a scam operating in the CSD. As you know that there is a huge disparity in the CSD items being sold to general public by local CSD Dealers. In the consumer durables section(electronc items) due to the huge difference in prices the dealers are selling the CSD items in general public without any check. I have also brought the same to the notice of the manufacturing companies and the CSD Depots but as you are aware everybody is hand in glove in this nexus and thus no action has been taken.

I thus seek your advice as to how can the same be controlled as how can a material ought to be sold in CSD segment be sold to general public and how can the guilty be punished...

(Guest)

In the name of security of mother land etc etc trillions of rupees are spent on military arsenals. A small cut is enough for a national political party to keep it going for decades appeasing each and every one who are considered stumbling blocks or moderators or middlemen or corporate brokers etc etc.

In all these scams and scandals military top brasses are the willing partners. They are therefore carefully chosen to reach that spot. Military scandals are therefore downplayed as political parties without the willing cooperation of those top military brasses will never be able to LOOT AND PLUNDER crores and millions.You are seeing so much of ruksus about 2G scam but what about those secret Bands which had been sold for a song. No that will be kept under the carpet and no LKA , no Sushmas, no Gdkaris to raise a hue and cry. Military arsenals and the mission to the moons by the foreign educated indian scientists( upper echlons) are two HOLY COWS that are bred in captivity, nurtutered and milked by the top political outfits.

Military top brasses are therefore milching the CSD cash cow for their vsted interest knowing that the Bura-cats and their masters will look other way as those military top brasses can't be antagonasied for the national security reason( read bl**dy scam money while buying foreign junks like VIRAAT antiquated ship etc etc).

We are pouncing on those very holy cows who are fondly regarded for sacrificing for their mother land( sic). The point I have raised is the bigger malaise where the loot and scoot in the name of so called welfare to troops etc etc is a bogey. Public money is converted into private money( regimental fund is called private fund) and thus Gen Kapoors get Adarsh, and Sukhnas come up. Regimental Funds has become huge because of CSD sales to almost anybody and everybody. 

The CDA( CONTROLLERS OF dEFENCE aCCTS) , country's watchdog is intimately colluding with the military bosses along with IAS.COM( the bura cats) to loot and scoot.

Local military as well as CSD depot ( supposedly to be govt of India employees) are hands in gloves in getting NON-CSD items from the local dealers and selling them through the CSD outlets. CSD is now a golden goose. You have raised a point which the local state govt paid employees in the revenue departments should have raised. But they are a party to the loot.

I need to know from you on the point you have raised before i comment further. But your moral support will go a long way to my zeal to file a writ petition with the High Court of AP soon. I have the documents ( thanks to RTI Act 3005) and shall be able to expose a scam begger badder and murkier than the 2G scam.

Only thing we do not have an Anna Hazare, Arvind Kejriwal, Swami Agnivesh, Kiran Bedi or Prasant Bhusan or our side. And hate people who fight corruption with  BHARAT MATA saffronised potrait vbedecked in jewelleries worn generally by the likes of Hema Malinies insulting the 70 % of the indian population who are compelled to survive with mere Rs 20 a day in Trillion dollar economy with so many Forbes 500 listed fellows.

Arun Gupta (social activist)     16 May 2011

Hi Mr Mandal

First of all i appreciate your concern an also hope that your hard work pays off in bringing the guilty to book but i want to know that how can the practise be stopped in first place. The local dealers are supplied material by manufacturing companies who in turn supply the material to people authorised by the depot(by issuing LS Order) but what is happening is that these local dealers after getting material allotted in the CSD quota dont deliver that material to authorised personnel but instead sell that material fraudentaly in openmarket. The depot, manufacturer and the dealer work hand in glove in this. its just like selling csd items(liquor,fuel, grocery) fraudently in open market...i wonder what action can be taken to stop this menace and with whom the matter should be elevated????

(Guest)

We are in the right forum . I am sure someone from this forum will guide us and get it cracked. Mr Rai who has estimated perceived 2G loss to 1.76 lac crores has ignored by submission stating they have no jurisdiction over the URCs. That's the problem . Even the constitutional heads are used as political tools by this side or that side and in the end manage to get the rewards in the platter as one of the governor or an ambassador or to head an enquiry commission which gets extention till he dies.

This scam is much bigger and has much more serious implications as here the ministry of defence , the armed forces top brasses , the audit authorities ( akin to PWC to Raju's Satyam) are in hand in glove for the loot and scoot with CAG and his staff waiting patiently for a delicious share of the booty.

(Guest)

Dear Ram Samudre

I had mailed my copy of the complaint but yet to receive a reply. Would you please help me to file a PIL into the High Court AP on the issue? I have all the material eveidences to prove beyond doubt how in the name welfare to troops more one lac seventy six thousand crores are being grossly abused by the Ministry of Defence Babus, The top Military generals and its equivalent and local dealers as well.

Running of URCs is a very very lucrative business with captive clientles.

(Guest)

Dear Sir 

1. As advised I made an appeal to the RTI Cell IHQ of MoD(Army), Sena Bhavan , New Delhi on 04 Aug 2011 as follows:-

a) Information of all the specific Rules which allows canteen facilities to be extended to the civilians.

b) Specific dates since which the facilities are extended.

c) Copy of the relevant circulars , name and rank of authority who issued the circular.

d) In addition if there is any vigilance mechanism where complaint may be given to them.

I have just recd the reply  as follows  vide their letter No A/810027/RTI/7642 dated 29 Sep 2011 recd today by ordinary post. It says :

a) Info on query No (a) - An extract  copy of AO 2/2006/QMG is encl herewith . The photostat page of the extract of the Army Order is almost inlegible but let me try to decipher.

Para 12 . Defence Civilians ;- Following categories of civilians paid from Defence Services Estimates and also those employed in the under mentioned ministries / departments are permitted to make purchases from service canteens subject to payment of sales tax and other levies as per directions of the respective state where they are entitled to such facilities:-

- min of defence.

- defence audit deptt.

- executive officer cantonment board.

-hindustan aeronautics ltd 

-indian defence accounts services who are serving on deputation to posts other than those in the min of defence9fin).

-secretarat border security roads development board and hq director gen border roads.

- civilian employees of unit/formation run canteens.

serving and retired employees of canteen stores departments  who are getting pension from CSD funds.

2. Info on query No (b)- The canten facilities are extended to the civilians wef 27 Jun 1966.

3. Information on query No (c)- Copy of the circular mentioned in para 2(b) above is encl herewith. The circular att is a letter from Army Headquarters QMG DHO PO NEW DELHI dated 27 Jun 1966 addsd to HQ southern /western/Eastern and central command. 

Subjects :- Canteen Facilities to civilian employees paid out of defence Estimates and also those employed in the min of defence , ministry of finance(defence) and their respective attached offices..

It goes on to say : - All civilians paid out of defence services estimates and also employed in the under mentioned ministries / departments will be permitted to make purchases from the services canteens on production of their authenticated photo bearing security passes ;-

It includes all the categories I have just listed which have now been included in the Army Order published in 2006.

I am in possession of a reply from the same office i.e QMG IHQ of MoD( Army) dated 04 Nov 2008 in reply to my RTI query earlier which states as follows :

Para 2 - The Army order under ref pertains to QMG bR . QMG is the nodal agency of the BOARD OF CONTROL CANTEEN SERVICES( wherein Hon'ble Rakha Mantri is the Chairman) to issue all policy instructions / directions / guidelines on behalf of the MOD. Accordingly the Army Order under ref was issued on the issue of URCs.

Para 3 - The Canteen facility less liquor and AFD items were extended to the serving civilian employees paid out of Defence Estimates as a goodwill gesture for their support to the Defence Services consequent a decision during the 53  Meeting of the BOCCS. Relevant Extracts of the same are encl.

As per the extract the meeting was held only on 18 Mar 1986.

One need not much brain to see through the game QMG is playing . I had asked for the Rules under which definition of Troops ( That is the pre condition to avail CSD facility) was diluted . Naturally that had to a cabinet/ Parliament decision as it immediately increase the clientele multifold and caused the govt crores of rupees on infrastructures as well as manpower to handle that extraordinary burdain to the exchequers . 

For the military bosses and the Defence Audit Personnel and of course the IAS.COM more the merrier. GOvt of India bleeds , there are more expansion of the CSD,,More procurement more profit , more QD to the URCs and more income to that so called NON-PUBLIC funds held by the military bosses in collusion with the audit authorities as well as the IAS .com at the min of Deence as well as Offence sorry Finance.

And there is more. The Military bosses became bolder. They published Army Order kind Coutesy Gen J J Singh allowing Audit Staff/Est to run their own canteens ( the QMG letter talks about availing serfacility from services canteens). And the profit in those URCs are being paid as dividend to the civilian employees - what a wonder ful Idea Sirjiii?

Now the CSD depot are also running their own URCs( Could not covered by any of the Army Orders ) but they are there. The URC staff are just temporarily employed casual employees . The unit commanders / head of the est recruit them as per their whims and fancies ( following no govt of India policies) but they are also included to avail the CSD facility. Look at the level where the Min of Defence , the military bosses have stooped down to appease the Defence Auding officials , the casual employees of the URC so that CSD facility can be abused to its maximum potential converting consolidated funds of India to Non-public funds for the thre sewrvices , almost all departments of Defence and Offence.

I think we need that damn LOKPAL bILL URGENTLY. tHIS LOOT AND SCOOT AND PLUNDER OF NATIONAL WEALTH MUST CEASE TO EXIST. 

Pl do help me making my next step.

Regards

(Guest)

What is the latest on the issue ? Pl share with us in this forum.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register