LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deepak Joshi   20 December 2021

Wrong name in death certificate

I need help. My mother is law passed away a couple of months back and her death certificate was issued based on her name on her Aadhar card.
However the name mentioned on the Aadhar card had a spelling mistake. My later mother in law's name was Supriya but was printed as Supiya on her Aadhar card and subsequently on her death certificate.
Now all her bank records mention her name as Supriya.
What should I do as the death certificate authority states that it cannot be updated.
Plz help.

Deepak Joshi


 3 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     21 December 2021

Please do not assume things, there is a laid down directive for correction/modification through such application, a notarized affidavit with signatures of two gazetted officers and certified documents recognized by Govt as ID proof.  The bank account is also ID proof as it is having a photo.  Approach for correction the process is simple and you may have to pay a reasonable fee prescribed for the work.

Yogeshwari Sirsikar   21 December 2021

As per your query, let me tell you that, you can approach the court of judicial magistrate for correction of the name appearing in death register. You can show the record indicating her correct name before the Court. The court after considering the evidence produced by you will issue directions to the registrar or the concerned officer to correct the record and you will get the death certificate mentioning the correct name of your mother in law.

Hope it helps!


Yogeshwari Sirsikar

Kawmini Liyanage   21 December 2021


In order to answer your query, the application process and necessary documents have been attached to this reply.


  • Application form
  • Copy of original death certificate (self-attested)
  • Copy of School certificate of deceased.
  • Self-Declaration (Describe the reason of correction)
  • Witnesses of two credible persons [Sarpanch/ Panch / Municipal Councilor (MC) / Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) / Member of Parliament ( MP) or Gazetted Officer]
  • ID card of the applicant.
  • Residential Proof.
  • Date and time of death.
  • Aadhar card of the deceased applicant.
  • Bank passbook of the deceased applicant.



  1. The applicant shall approach the “respective municipality office” / respective office from where the certificate was obtained.
  2. Obtain Death Certificate Update/correction Form' from the respective counter or write in a paper to apply.
  3. Complete the application form and attach the required documents and submit it to the receiving authority
  4. The accepted application and documents will be verified by the authority and an acknowledgement will be provided for applying.
  5. Collect the acknowledgement slip after submitting the form and keep it safe for future reference.
  6. This application will be processed further by the respective department.
  7. Once the process is over, the applicant gets a notification to collect the certificate.
  8. Use the acknowledgement slip to obtain a certificate from the office as per notified period.


Kawmini Liyanage

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query