IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

abhinav kr (assistant)     21 September 2014

Wrong caste certificate

Dear Sir,

I am currently in a situation which requires your good guidance and instructions to take the right step. Sir, My grandfather was illiterate and at the time of buying land (back in 1970) in the various deeds the caste mentioned was "Kurmi"which comes under BC in my state. However actual caste was "Dhanuk" which comes under EBC Category and there is no doubt about it as all other family members in our village come under Dhanuk Caste. Now based on this one wrong information in the land deed several years later when my father applied for Govt Job (Back in 1980) he got a Caste Certificate bearing Kurmi caste. Several years later when i applied for Govt Job i too had my caste certificate as Kurmi because in common language most of Dhanuks call themselves Kurmi due to one reason or other. However, after coming in contact with my lineage in village i came to know about this discrepancy and was not convinced why i Should have a caste certificate of Kurmi when actually I am of dhanuk lineage. I am afraid if i submit an affidavit to my current employer that I have wrong caste mentioned it will be illegal to do so. However there is no change in reservation benefits as Kurmi under BC category in state and OBC in central and Dhanuk in EBC category in state and OBC in Central doesnt change any benefits i recieved. Is there any way i can change my caste mentioned on the property papers and Is it wrong to get a new caste certificate of Dhanuk on the basis of enquiry of my lineage in Village. Will my current employer accept my affidavit regarding my actual caste.

Looking forward to your kind reply.


 7 Replies

Rangee (Lawyer)     23 September 2014

Mr. Abhinav.Kr.

Since there is change in benefits/reservations for government job. You do not bother it is not your mistake and you are no having  liability whatsoever under law. It is simple mistake of fact which is rectifiable by filing an AFADIVIT before the Revenue Officers and later on submit the changed caste certificate to your employer for effecting changes in your service records. Revenue enquuiry is must. 


abhinav kr (assistant)     25 September 2014

Sir..I am still awaiting a detailed guidance on the issue. i also need specific guidance on whether the wrong caste mentioned on sale deed and other property papers can be rectified and the process to do so.

Rangee (Lawyer)     25 September 2014

There is slight modification of my earlier reply. First sentence should be "since there is no change ...." No was missing. To add further your have submit your application for effecting change of your caste based upon the documentary and cirucmstiantial eveidence to the Revenue Office who will conduct a enquiry in the matter and issue changed caste certificate which is valid enough for any further transactions.


abhinav kr (assistant)     03 October 2014

Dear Rangee Sir,

I am unable to get the procedure you are asking me to follow. Would be highly obliged if you can provide me a step wise guidance on what i need to do. I mean application to whom.. and what document to attach.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 October 2014

YOu cannot change caste.  You got the certificate which you applied for.

abhinav kr (assistant)     03 October 2014

Dear Sudhir Sir.. That is what I am saying...No one can change my caste what it is Definitely not a piece of paper..And I will surely find a way out to prove it...Thanks for your Motivating reply

SAMRUDHI SONAWANE   14 September 2021

will i be disqualified as i have filled wrong caste certificate no. in my central govt job application? ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query