Wife's parents want divorce after one day of marriage

I recently got married under the Special Marriage Act with my parents and my wife's father as witnesses. Since the inception of our relationship, we have been facing objections and dissuasion from my wife's parents and relatives because of the fact that I am not from her caste. I am a Bengali and my wife lives in Delhi and their family is from Aligarh, UP. Upon convincing her parents repeatedly and pursuation by my parents, her family agreed for the marriage. We then planned an engagement ceremony (with both Ring Ceremony and Bengali Ashirwad Ceremony) along with registration of our marriage before an Hon'ble marriage officer in West Bengal. After the engagement ceremony got over, my wife and her family left for Delhi. Just after her information of reaching home, her phone went unreachable and I failed to contact her in any way. Later in the night, I tried calling my wife again only to find out that her phone had been apparently seized by her parents and her father said that he would not allow her daughter to talk to me. The next morning my father contacted my father-in-law about the situation to which my father-in-law said he doesn't want the relationship to continue any further and he wanted the marriage be called off citing the reason that he did not like my behavior on the day of engagement and that we Bengalis eat non-vegetarian food which they do not. The next day I requested my office colleagues to visit her residence to which they found my wife to be crying continuously and only asking about my well-being. When I talked to her through my colleague's phone, she informed me that this relationship will not go through and her dreams have shattered. Upon saying this, she started crying and my colleague informed me later that my mother-in-law prohibited my wife to talk to me any further. My colleague later informed me that my wife was being oppressed and is being pursued to leave the relationship citing that intercaste marriage can never be successful and she would never be happy with me. In the evening, my elder sister tried reaching my mother-in-law to which she denied handing over the phone to my wife. She informed that my wife is in shock and she shall not allow her to talk to anyone from my family. My belief is that my wife is being pressurised by her parents and relatives to leave the relationship for the sake of her family's respect and their hatred towards intercaste marriages. Also, they are trying to pursuade my wife to believe that she would never be happy in her life with me and she should leave the relationship at the early stage itself. I have loved my wife and will continue to do so in future and also respect her family. I just do not want this relationship / marriage to die just because of some emotional and coercion by my wife's parents. I request the experts here to advise me to have my wife safe and sound with me by my side so that we may lead our life together without any coercion or stress from anyone. Please help.

Dear querist,

You can file police complaint against your in laws.


Total likes : 1 times


If your in-laws aren't letting your wife and you to live together then you can file a petition for restitution of conjugal rights U/S 22, Special Marriage Act, 1954. Restitution of conjugal rights are the court's order to the party who leaves her/his spouse to go back to their respective spouse and fulfill their marrital obligations and duties towards eachother. Once this decree is issued by court then your in-laws will have to send your wife back to you.



Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
CrPC Course!     |    x