Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Whether fir was was false is not dependent on finding of cri

Whether FIR was was false is not dependent on finding of criminal court

It has been argued by the learned counsel for the appellant that the police on investigation found the case to be correct and submitted charge-sheet in the Court. It is contended that the Court of Magistrate will decide regarding the correctness of the allegations. I am unable to agree with the argument of the learned counsel. The copy of the charge-sheet has been filed and is on the record of the trial court. This shows that the charge-sheet has been submitted for offences under Section 323 and 504, I.P.C. only and no charge-sheet has been submitted under Section 498A, I.P.C. thereby showing the allegations of demand of dowry and cruelty was found to be incorrect even by the police. No doubt, the criminal court alone is competent to decide whether any offence has been committed by the respondent or not, but that decision is not relevant for the civil court and judgment is not admissible as provided under Sections 40 to 44 of the Indian Evidence Act. The question whether the F.I.R. was false or correct being relevant for decision of this petition, it has to be decided on the basis of the evidence adduced in this petition. The civil Court cannot look forward or is dependent for a finding of the criminal court on this point to assist the civil court. Therefore, whatever is decided by the criminal court is irrelevant, and it has to be decided independently by the civil court whether the F.I.R. was false or not as this question arises for decision in this petition.

Allahabad High Court
Smt. Archana vs Dr. P.K. Tomar on 4 February, 2003
Equivalent citations: AIR 2003 All 214, 2003 (2) AWC 1119

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register