Section 9 C was introduced in the Industrial Disputes Act Industrial Disputes (Amendment) Act, 2010 (No. 24 of 2010) a Grievance Redressal Machinery has been introduced by insertion of Section 9 C. We are being inquired whether the Section 9 C comes into effect after issue of a Notification the Section 9 C comes into effect .
We find that the wordings used in Section 9 C is self operative as is seen below and a further Notification may become superfluous as the very provision is clear :
Setting up of Grievance Redressal Machinery
9C. (1) Every industrial establishment employing twenty or more workmen shall have one or more Grievance Redressal Committee for the resolution of disputes arising out of individual grievances.
(2) The Grievance Redressal Committee shall consist of equal number of members from the employer and the workmen.
(3) The chairperson of the Grievance Redressal Committee shall be selected from the employer and from among the workmen alternatively on rotation basis every year.
(4) The total number of members of the Grievance Redressal Committee shall not exceed more than six:
Provided that there shall be, as far as practicable one woman member if the Grievance Redressal Committee has two members and in case the number of members are more than two, the number of women members may be increased proportionately.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, the setting up of Grievance Redressal Committee shall not affect the right of the workman to raise industrial dispute on the same matter under the provisions of this Act.
(6) The Grievance Redressal Committee may complete its proceedings within thirty days on receipt of a written application by or on behalf of the aggrieved party.
(7) The workman who is aggrieved of the decision of the Grievance Redressal Committee may prefer an appeal to the employer against the decision of Grievance Redressal Committee and the employer shall, within one month from the date of receipt of such appeal, dispose off the same and send a copy of his decision to the workman concerned.
Further Section 9 C has already been Notified.