Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     16 June 2010

What is the distinction between Jail and Prison?

What is the main distinction between Jail and Prison?

Learning

11 Replies

kranthi (retainer advocate)     16 June 2010

i think jail & prison r same,jail is telugu word, jail is called in english as prison 

Anmol Sharma (advocate)     16 June 2010

none I think... Americans use the word prison. just like, diff between apartment and flat....

SIDHES JENA (CEO- Jena & Company www.jenasworld.com)     16 June 2010

Prison: Safe building where criminals can be kept locked up after they have been convicted or while they wait trail, 

Jail: Noun, Prison, place where criminals are kept, 

Verb: To put some one in prison. 

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     16 June 2010

Do you agree that jail is before conviction and prison means after conviction?

SRIKANTH MYLAVARAPU (SENIOR OFFICER (LEGAL))     16 June 2010

YES ASSUMMI JI

Vijay Kumar (Advocate)     16 June 2010

Prison is certainly after conviction. In jail, both undertrials and convicts can be detained.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     17 June 2010

A jail is a short-term detention facility.

Prisons are conventionally institutions which form part of the criminal justice system of a country, such that imprisonment or incarceration is a legal penalty that may be imposed by the State for the commission of a crime.

Apart from other replies here, I find that jails don’t have many amenities for people serving time there, since they won’t be there for very long (although a jail sentence can seem like a very very long time). A county jail may have a work release program and services to combat substance abuse and address vocational needs of its inmates — or it may provide only the basic necessities of housing, food, and safety.

Prisons often have work release programs, a halfway house service, classrooms for vocational training, and recreation and entertainment facilities. Some prison inmates are going to be there for decades or for a lifetime.

ravi shankar sharma (advocate)     17 June 2010

a very nice question put to us by mr. Assumi and i do agree with mr. Assumi and also thanks to all who answered it and enlightened to us. thanks

oasisgrp (ngo)     17 June 2010

suchithra S has given a near correct answer

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     17 June 2010

A place for the confinement of persons in lawful detention, especially persons awaiting trial under local jurisdiction is known to be JAIL

whereas PRISON is a correctional institution where persons are confined while on trial or for punishment

Shree. ( Advocate.)     18 June 2010

Interesting observation from Learned members .

Why are words JAILER and PRISONER so different in meaning?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register