Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bhupinder Singh (student)     12 April 2016

Stepfather pressuring me to have and arranged marriage

Dear Sir

I am 22 years old and I graduated last year with a B.E in Computer Engineering,from Thapar University last and I work as a Software Engineer in Patiala. I currently live with my Stepfather and Step-grandparents in a house in Patiala. I am a Westerner from Canada and when I was nine years old my mother fell in love with a Amritdhari Punjabi Sikh online and me and her moved to India to live with him and his parents. When my mother died when I was fifteen years old I was officially adopted by my Stepfather as his legal son and since he could not have any biological children of his own due to infertility.  I love my stepfather and Step-grandparents very much since they have supported me all these years and paid for my education but they are very domineering. They made me give up my Canadian citizenship last year and take out Indian citizenship (I live in India since I was 9) because my stepfather and step-grandparents want me to live with them until they die. They made me adopt the Sikh religion because they are Sikhs and felt that I should follow Sikhism like them; I still remember my Step-grandfather and Step-father cried when I became a baptised Sikh. Even though I was pressured to become a Sikh, I love wear a full beard and turban and very comfortable being a Sikh but I am in love with a Hindu woman but my Step-father and Step-grandparents told me I am only to marry a Sikh and they have found a Sikh woman whom I am to marry next month. How can I stand up to my Step-father and Step-Grandparents to tell I do not want an arrange marriage?

Learning

10 Replies

(Guest)
Listen to your heart...what you want...that girl u love if she s good everyone will Carr her today or tomorrow... M not saying fight and go oppose let ur parents understand u..ur family has made u wat u r today.. And m sure they will understand u now good luck...actually m too in this situation :)

KS Johal   12 April 2016

It is interesting that your mother was a baptized Sikh and that your father was attracted to her. It appears that you have left Canada and started to live in India with your grandparents who are also practicing Sikhs and perhaps are baptized as well. I also understand that you are wearing a turban and that you have a full beard you have graduated and appears to be very intelligent. I understand that you have met a Hindu girl and that you have fallen in love with her and that you wish to marry her. The kind of factors that you need to consider are: 1)the girl that you have fallen in love with does she has any objections regarding practicing her religion along with your religion? Or if put differently do you have any objections if she practices Hindu mythology ie religion; or that you wish her to practice Sikhism? My understanding is that she is quite happy you wearing a turban and having a full beard. There are often cases when a Sikh girl prefers a clean-shaven person. This scenario would be important to your grandparents since they are practicing Sikhs themselves. This basically means they would rather have a person (Hindu girl) who is going to allow you to practice your own religion fearlessly and perhaps she is also is going to practice Sikhism alongside yourself. 2) You need to decide if you want to have children what religion will they be following? 3) Remember it is not wrong to marry a Hindu girl provided both of you are having the same kind of relationship after marriage as you are having now. *** I understand that other people have given you different forms of advice (in the forum); It is important to consider that advice alongside what I have said. if we look at divorce; divorce may happen to anybody regardless of religion. the reason why people say divorce has a high probability especially if you marry out of cast or out of the religion is because; we have slightly different cultures and different Family Values and therefore have different constraints upon us. Divorce is the root of arguments; and arguments May produce actions; and actions may produce domestic violence; after which unhappiness creeps in; and finally one wants to separate from the spouse and seek divorce. I hope what I have said above does not offend any person, and I hope that you are successful in your marriage to this Hindu girl and that her parents in along with yours are also happy with the decision that you have and the girl have taken. They will only be happy if your marriage is a success rather than visiting Court and then going for divorce. I believe initially they may not be happy but it is up to you and the Hindu girl to prove them wrong. I hope what I have said above helps you to some extent. Guru Nanak Dev ji had Mardanna and Bala with him for over 40 years. One was a Hindu and the other one was a Muslim. not once in history did Guru Nanak Dev ji asked any one of them to change their religion. This shows that Sikhism is an inclusive religion and it fully respects all other religions alongside it. Sikhism does not be-little other religions. The way it differs is that it has a practical Way of Life rather than believing in or worshiping the trees; canals or various other statutes or believing in superstitious. I hope this helps. KS Johal ksinghjohal@yahoo.co.uk

KS Johal   12 April 2016

It is interesting that your mother was a baptized Sikh and that your father was attracted to her. It appears that you have left Canada and started to live in India with your grandparents who are also practicing Sikhs and perhaps are baptized as well. I also understand that you are wearing a turban and that you have a full beard you have graduated and appears to be very intelligent. I understand that you have met a Hindu girl and that you have fallen in love with her and that you wish to marry her. The kind of factors that you need to consider are: 1)the girl that you have fallen in love with does she has any objections regarding practicing her religion along with your religion? Or if put differently do you have any objections if she practices Hindu mythology ie religion; or that you wish her to practice Sikhism? My understanding is that she is quite happy you wearing a turban and having a full beard. There are often cases when a Sikh girl prefers a clean-shaven person. This scenario would be important to your grandparents since they are practicing Sikhs themselves. This basically means they would rather have a person (Hindu girl) who is going to allow you to practice your own religion fearlessly and perhaps she is also is going to practice Sikhism alongside yourself. 2) You need to decide if you want to have children what religion will they be following? 3) Remember it is not wrong to marry a Hindu girl provided both of you are having the same kind of relationship after marriage as you are having now. *** I understand that other people have given you different forms of advice (in the forum); It is important to consider that advice alongside what I have said. if we look at divorce; divorce may happen to anybody regardless of religion. the reason why people say divorce has a high probability especially if you marry out of cast or out of the religion is because; we have slightly different cultures and different Family Values and therefore have different constraints upon us. Divorce is the root of arguments; and arguments May produce actions; and actions may produce domestic violence; after which unhappiness creeps in; and finally one wants to separate from the spouse and seek divorce. I hope what I have said above does not offend any person, and I hope that you are successful in your marriage to this Hindu girl and that her parents in along with yours are also happy with the decision that you have and the girl have taken. They will only be happy if your marriage is a success rather than visiting Court and then going for divorce. I believe initially they may not be happy but it is up to you and the Hindu girl to prove them wrong. I hope what I have said above helps you to some extent. Guru Nanak Dev ji had Mardanna and Bala with him for over 40 years. One was a Hindu and the other one was a Muslim. not once in history did Guru Nanak Dev ji asked any one of them to change their religion. This shows that Sikhism is an inclusive religion and it fully respects all other religions alongside it. Sikhism does not be-little other religions. The way it differs is that it has a practical Way of Life rather than believing in or worshiping the trees; canals or various other statutes or believing in superstitious. I hope this helps. KS Johal ksinghjohal@yahoo.co.uk

KS Johal   12 April 2016

KS Johal   12 April 2016

Be strong and go for it. I hope your marriage to this Hindu girl is a success. If you are really in love then you should really marry this girl and try to convince your parent or grandparents. Don't worry if they disagree initially; as I have said earlier you and your prospective wife need to prove them wrong. Good luck.

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     13 April 2016

Being true Sikhs I don't find fault with the elders for their approach.But at the sametime U are reluctant to give up UR love ( hard to give up if its out of the heart) .U have a bonded responsibility towards UR step father and grandparents, who have shouldered every aspect in UR life with not just responsibility but love and affection too.They are behind every step of whatever U R today.Hence try to convince them orelse better not go against their decisio, which could haunt everyone throughout the lives.

Bhupinder Singh (student)     15 April 2016

I love my adoptive father and grandparents and I will do anything for them.

KS Johal   15 April 2016

It is nice to hear that you respect your adoptive fathers and grandparents wishes and that you will do anything for them. If you are comfortable with their wishes then you should follow this wholeheartedly. Otherwise the alternative would be to convince them that you love this Hindu girl and that you wish to marry her. Obviously the choice is yours you are a graduate and an intelligent person who has become a baptised Sikh. Follow what your heart says I am sure that the decision will be right. KS Johal

KS Johal   16 April 2016

Your question to me via private message is: Question: What would I do if I had a step son would I force him to become a Sikh? Firstly if I was marrying a woman that I love and she already had a son with her before I develop the relationship or before I get married to her I would discuss such issues as; religion; culture; family values; future off my stepson with his mother and come to some kind of agreement. In other words I will ask her if she had any objections for her son to become a Sikh or him to remain as a Christian? this is a vital question that all stepmother's or stepfathers need to consider when forming or developing a lasting relationship otherwise there could be problems with the stepchildren and step parents. Becoming a Sikh or staying as a Christian is not an overnight decision. You should understand that all religions teach good things such as; do not lie; do not steal; do not hurt people and so on. Basically all religions lead you to the same path. . Going back to the question: . I would not force my stepson to become a Sikh simply because I am a Sikh. But what I would do is give him enough knowledge for him to decide which religion he wishes to follow. In order to decide this he will need to have enough knowledge about Sikhism and enough knowledge about Christianity that's if he has to decide between the two as is the case with you. I hope this answers your question. Please do not hesitate to ask for the questions. The reason I have put this private message on the forum is to share my thoughts along with lawyers and other experts.

KS Johal   16 April 2016

Your question to me via private message is: Question: What would I do if I had a step son would I force him to become a Sikh? Firstly if I was marrying a woman that I love and she already had a son with her before I develop the relationship or before I get married to her I would discuss such issues as; religion; culture; family values; future off my stepson with his mother and come to some kind of agreement. In other words I will ask her if she had any objections for her son to become a Sikh or him to remain as a Christian? this is a vital question that all stepmother's or stepfathers need to consider when forming or developing a lasting relationship otherwise there could be problems with the stepchildren and step parents. Becoming a Sikh or staying as a Christian is not an overnight decision. You should understand that all religions teach good things such as; do not lie; do not steal; do not hurt people and so on. Basically all religions lead you to the same path. . Going back to the question: . I would not force my stepson to become a Sikh simply because I am a Sikh. But what I would do is give him enough knowledge for him to decide which religion he wishes to follow. In order to decide this he will need to have enough knowledge about Sikhism and enough knowledge about Christianity that's if he has to decide between the two as is the case with you. I hope this answers your question. Please do not hesitate to ask for the questions. The reason I have put this private message on the forum is to share my thoughts along with lawyers and other experts.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More