30% OFF on all Law Courses until 10th of July. Enroll Now. Use Code: July30
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anu   28 April 2018

Society maintenance bill in name of deceased joint member

I and my deceased mother are joint owners of a flat in a Co-operative Housing Society. After death of my mother, I had immediately notified the society and submitted her death certificate alongwith a letter stating that all future correspondence must be addressed to me. However, even after 2 years, the society still continues to send monthly society maintenance bills in my deceased mother's name, even though I have been paying all the bills. How can Society send bills in name of DECEASED joint member?

Which section/ rule/ law/ act can we resort to, in order to get the Society to send maintenance bills in my name? Kindly advice. 


 3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 April 2018

The secretary of the society must have explained you the reason in person if not in writing.

Pls post the same.

Relate with The society Bye laws framed in accordance with Model Bye Laws/Act in the state..

Generically speaking; The Nominee/legal heirs/successors that are also aware of the death are expected to submit requisite forms/annexures to society to transfer the share by inheritance..

Transact with society in writing and under proper acknowledgment.

1 Like

Anu   28 April 2018

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Society has simply been avoiding this issue.

Just wish to clarify that there is no other legal heir. I am the only child. Besides that I am already the owner of the flat (it was originally puchased in my name when I was minor and mom was acting as my natural guardian), so there is no question of transfer to anybody else.

Would be very kind if you could specify exactly which section/ rule could be enforced here.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 April 2018

Since you were owner (title holder as clarified in your last post) therefore on attaining adulthood you should have gained absolute control on property..

This is the point, that you may narrate to society secretary under proper acknowledgment..

For anything else, relate with the society Bye laws framed in accordance with Model Bye Laws/Act in your state..

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query