Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swetha (SW)     31 October 2012

Road tax for other state car


I am planning to buy car with TN registerion. I am working in banagalore. Is it necessary to pay road tax in karnataka for TN Register vehicle.


Also I heard from some one as below:


1) Can I pay road tax in other state for short period (Ex: One year / two year) based on how long I will be working in other states.

2) If life time tax is paid already in origin state No need to pay tax in other state?

3) NOC is enough from origin state.

4) No need to pay road tax in other state for first one year of new car registration.?

Please anyone suggest me where should i register and above is true. Also provide your suggestion as early as possible.

 3 Replies

S C KHOSLA (Ex - Scientist `F`& Head (SPPD))     31 October 2012

Some transfer charges are to be paid if vehicle is purchased in one state and being registered in another state

tk krishnan (company secretary)     01 November 2012

It is better to avoid buying cars regd outside the state. The hassles created by the road transport authorities and the police administration in both states, besides the threats meted out to other state regd vehicles during political agitations are reasons enough. 

It is high time that GST features are extended to making private vehicles pliable in any part of India, if India is truly to be called a nation. One other solution will be to make license plates fastened to individuals and not to the vehicles as in US and Canada.


P SIVA KUMAR (Student)     01 November 2012

Hi,  Swetha


Very well you can buy the car  without any fear, there won't any problem in transfering the vehiclle , ensure the seller of the vehicle is genune .

1) No state will collect TAX for short pereiod ,You have to pay full tax in Karnataka as per RTA rules of Karnataka State.

2) On producing paid TAX receipt of Karntaka at Tamilnadu,TN  RTA  will refund you the  previous TAX which the previous owner has already paid to Tamilnadu RTA.( It will take little bit time to get a refund).

3)NOC and  RC Book/Card have to submit  along with Car Insurance Policy,Local address proof and Polution Certificate is must.(Even insurance is valid to till date on previous owners name the same can be treated as Valid one).

4)  My Above suggition is correct.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query