LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jagdish Kumar (Advocate)     01 March 2012

Review of judicilal order

I am concious of the fact that the review application is often dismissed either because the applicant tends to re-argue the contentions already considered and adjudicated upon or it is general human nature not to admit that he or she has ignored to consider the facts apparent on the face of record. 

But, I have following two questions for which I solicit answers :-

1.If more than one relief is prayed for, and the judgment has adjudicated upon only one reief,  and the hon'ble court  has neither recorded, nor considered and nor adjudicated upon the remaining reliefs prayed for, can the learned judge still dismiss the review application which brings  to the notice the specific reliefs prayed for but not recorded in the judgment, not considered and not adjudicated upon?

2. If the judgment records findings based on the facts, evidence, and the laws of the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India relied upon by the Hon'ble court, but the  conclusions arrived at in the same judgment are not based on the findings already recorded and are rather contrary to the findings in the judgment, can the learned judge still dismiss the review application which brings  to the notice the specific conclusions which are not based on the specific findings already recorded and are rather contrary to the findings in the same judgment?

Considered reply to the above said two questions are solicited.

JAGDISH KUMAR

ADVOCATE

Learning

1 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     01 March 2012

Mr.Kumar,

1) It is an established principle that relief sought - even though the judgement is silent upon that, insofar as the same is not even considered or deliberated it is deemed to have been turned down, and operates as RJ. Though CPC is not exactly applicable to the SC but you may refer S.11 (expl. 3 i guess). Hence it does not really make a good ground for review - grounds of which are strictly those provided O.47/S.114 viz. Error apparent on the face of the record, discovery of new and important piece of evidence, other sufficient reason.  Review grounds are strictly construed. 

2) This can be ground for review insofar as misplaced reliance on a precedent is an error manifest on record. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register