Upgrad LLM

canadian-indian divorce assualt

 hello, i am an indian and married an indian guy in 2005 and then we both went to canada on work visa. my husband had been assualting and abusing me. i had to run away and come to India. I filed complain in canada before coming and i wanted to know what can i do here? 



can i file domestic violence or harrasment or any other charge in india?i haveheard that becauase incident happened in canada i cannot do anything in india. is it true?

how will it work because my husband is in canada and he will probably not  come to india. what things can i do?


practicing advocate

I think u can file a complaint in India.

Sec 188  provides for extra-territorial jurisdiction over indian citizens and also of non-citizens.

This section specifies two cases in which a person is triable for offences committed out of india, namely-

1. When an Indian Citizen commits an offence in any place ither on the high seas or else where; and

2.  When any person, not being such citizen, commits an offence on any ship or aircraft registereed in india.

sl. No: 1 is applicable. 

 My sincere advise is better consult good criminal lawyer in ur locality.


matrimonial offences are of continuing nature. you can file complaint at a place where you reside.

I agree with Mr.Tripathi.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x