LIVE Online Course on Indian Constitution by Dr. Ravishankar Mor. Register Now!!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sunil (accounts asst)     01 November 2015

Quick divorce

I have filed an nc against my wife and also a divorce petition, police suggested both of us to go for police counseling center I visited the same they told me that if both of us are ready they can complete divorce process in 2-3 weeks no need to wait for 6 months. My query is if my wife agrees for divorce in mutual consent whether I should withdraw the petition and go for divorce under police counseling center will it save my time?


 4 Replies

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     01 November 2015

Come up with facts, date of marriage etc. Yes there is a possibility of quickening the process however come up with facts.

sunil (accounts asst)     02 November 2015

Date of marriage 15th July 2013 I have filed nc because my wife beat my mother and my wife also filed fake nc against us.

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     02 November 2015

If the other party is also interested in divorce, in the next hearing fils a joint memo for mediation, arrive at terms for di orce in the mediation, report will be shared with the court and divorce will be pronounced in 1-2 hearing. But this has lot of cons during the BGC if you guys decide for remarriage unless your future partner knows the fact.


‘No waiting in mutual consent  divorce

MUMBAI: The Bombay high court  waived the mandatory six-month waiting period for couples, who, during the pendency of their appeal against the family court order, decide to end their marriage through mutual consent. Appeals against family court orders are heard by the high court. The latter can now instantaneously grant divorce.

In 2008, the Bombay HC had ruled that the family court cannot waive the six-month period before granting divorce. Today's judgment distinguished the earlier verdict and held that in an appeal, the high court could waive the six-month period.

"It will end the mutual misery rather than let it continue,'' said Justice V M Kanade, who along with Justice P D Kode, gave their verdict on a man's appeal against dismissal of his divorce plea by the family court.
During pendency of the appeal, the couple filed consent terms, praying for a decree of divorce by mutual consent. The only hitch was the mandatory waiting period of six months under Section 13 B of the Hindu Marriage Act.

Advocate Vikramaditya Deshmukh, who was asked to assist the court as amicus curiae, submitted that various high courts have taken a view that when an application is filed before an appellate court, seeking its permission to convert an appeal into a petition for divorce by mutual consent, it is not necessary to wait for further six months. He said the waiting period is applicable only for the family court.

Upholding Deshmukh's submission, the judges in their order said, "We are of the view that it is not necessary for the appellate court to wait for further six months after an application is made seeking conversion of petition for divorce into divorce by mutual consent.''

Accepting the couple's consent terms, the judges directed that their marriage is dissolved by mutual consent.

The couple married on July 1, 2006, and have two children aged ten and eight years. Since October 2006, they did not cohabit although they were living in the same house. On May 11, 2010, the wife left the matrimonial home. The husband moved the family court in January 2011, seeking divorce on grounds of cruelty. The court dismissed his petition in June 2012. He filed appeal in HC in July 2012. During its pendency, the couple filed consent terms, urging the court to dissolve their marriage by mutual consent. They signed consent terms on September 12, 2012.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query