LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pankaj (AM)     13 December 2012

Problem regarding releiving

I have resigned from a company and served the notice period of only 40 days. As per appointment letter its 3 months of notice period. The employer was not ready to accept salary in lieu of notice period beacuse as per appointment letter its on discretion of management. I have sent them the resignation from post also and mentioned last day of my work with them. I left the company after 40 days of notice period and joined the next company. My old company paid me full months salary for that month rather than paying for 18 days for which I have worked with them in that month, They sent me the show cause notices for not coming and I replied them back. Now after 2 months, I got a notice from them on full and final settlement. They are asking me to pay the extra salary paid to me for full and final settlement of accounts with them. There is no amount mentioned for notice recovery period. The full and final statement conatins the releiving date as 9th november 2012, rather than 18 september 2012 (which is my last working daya with them. When I asked them, why the relleving date is showing as 9th Nov 2012 and after paying dues when I will get my releiving letter. The replied me following -->

Your employment with us ended on 9- Nov-12 , though you abandoned the job on 18-Sep-12
Since you did not serve your full notice period with us, you will not be issued a Relieving letter,
Post you pay the recovery amount, we will issue you a Service Certificate.

They ended my employment on 9th nov 2012 rather than my last working day 18th sep -2012. I joined the new company on 19-sep-2012. How to go abt it. whats are the consequences and what needs to be done.

Please help and advise.

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     14 December 2012

It is felt that you are being subjected to tricks/tactics/ techniques by your company or whosever in your previous company is in line of communication with you.

It is our hunch that you have been terminated and some HR/Line management executive is coercing you to tender notice pay and perusing some policy or orders of his masters. Company may have some employer policy that in case of termination due to misconduct {abandonment is misconduct} notice pay shall be recovered.

If you have mentioned period of notice/effective date of resignation/last day in office in your notice of resignation and have been attending to office till your last day in office, and you have the record then employer can not arbitrarily record that you have abandoned the job. Moreover you have replied to their show cause notice.

You have posted that:

--“ There is no amount mentioned for notice recovery period.”

Ask them to adjust notice pay in FNF statement and affirm to pay as per correct FNF statement only.

You may agree to tender notice pay @ Basic+ DA, after you have been supplied by redg. post the reason of separation, acceptance of resignation, and correct FNF statement, correct Form 16 as per correct FNF statement, PF number, PF a/c slips of  all years of service, attested copies of PF withdrawal/transfer forms { you may submit these immediately under acknowledgment} encashment of paid leave, bonus, performance bonus, relieving letter, gratuity { it is in your CTC sheet/you re eligible as per act}, NDC/NOC etc, acknowledgment of handing over the charge { if you have not handed over the charge you should affirm that you are willing to handover charge/company property if any} etc……..

Do not forget to decline to accept the FNF statement citing it as incorrect and that company shall have to supply you the Form 16 as per correct FNF statement.

If notice pay is not adjusted in FNF statement and your current employer has bought your notice period you shall be subjected to double taxation.

If your Form 16is issued as per incorrect FNF statement your employer may not agree to revise the return and Form 16 and burden shall be on you.

--“The full and final statement conatins the releiving date as 9th november 2012, rather than 18 september 2012 (which is my last working daya with them.”

You should not accept this FNF statement and DOL. If you accept you shall land up by joining another company and availing salary/wages from two employers, and once accepted the previous employer may never correct it.

You may decline to tender payment on line/in cash/by DD and you may also decline receipt by email

--“When I asked them, why the relleving date is showing as 9th Nov 2012 and after paying dues when I will get my releiving letter. The replied me following -->

Your employment with us ended on 9- Nov-12 , though you abandoned the job on 18-Sep-12
Since you did not serve your full notice period with us, you will not be issued a Relieving letter,
Post you pay the recovery amount, we will issue you a Service Certificate.”

It is felt that the company in its record has not accepted your resignation.

Has the company issued you the acceptance of resignation???? Has the company issued you acknowledgment of your notice of resignation in writing???

It might have shown in its record that communication were sent to you that your resignation is not accepted/you are absconding/absenting from duty from 18th Sep and finally you were terminated on 9th Nov.

You should demand from good offices of your appointing authority, MD, Company Secretary that both acknowledgment of your notice of resignation, and acceptance of resignation be supplied to you, by redg. post only and that all communications be supplied to you thru redg. post only on the letterhead of the company under original seal and signature by hand of the competent employee of the company whose full name/designation/dept/address should be mentioned below his signatures.

The service certificate issued to you may include your name, designation and period of service and may

{may not } include comments of your conduct and reason of separation. If company mentions reason of separation as termination/abandonment it shall have adverse effect on your employability.

Even if it does not the reasons in record of the company may chase and haunt you in future e.g. during reference check.

You should demand that correct FNF statement with correct DOL, amount of notice pay adjusted in it, Form 16 as per correct FNF statement  be supplied to you and you may affirm that you shall tender the payment if any by crossed a/c payee cheque only against acknowledgment/receipt which shall have to be issued to you on the spot on  the letterhead/prescribed receipt with logo of company and full address of the company under original seal and signature by hand of the competent employee of the company whose full name/designation/dept/address should be mentioned below his signatures.

.You may avoid email to company and should prefer to supply your representations addressed to good offices by letter thru redg. post and mention that reply be supplied to you by redg. post only and that postage prepaid {as purchased from PO} self addressed envelope is enclosed herewith for sending reply to you on the matter cited by you and also the reason why your resignation has not been accepted and what is the cause of separation recorded by company and certified copies of copies related to the matter be supplied to you.  All executives in the company including line management/HR are not empowered to sign on the letterhead and if you communicate thru emails you may remain entangled with junior executives and these executives may be just serving orders of their masters and may have any authority to provide relief to you.

You may demand that good offices may allow you to examine your personnel file on dated……..at time ……in their Head/corporate office located at…….address……..and may confirm the appointment.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Pankaj (AM)     14 December 2012

Sir, thanks for your reply. I want to confirm below things with you-->

1) As per my appointment letter, its on discretion of management if they accept the full notice period or salary in lieu of notice period. They want me to serve the full notice period. I have mentioned them, i will pay notice pay in lieu but they didn't accepted. I have not served the full notice period but I have mentioned my last day of notice period in resignation by mail and also by registered post. Can they show me absconding or abandonment from services for not serving the full notice period?

2) Can they legally force me to pay the extra 12 days salary for september, they credited to my bank account. I have mentioned my last day but still they given the salary for full month + 7500 more payment wrongly to my bank account. Please advise.

3) Can I say them to wite DOL as 18th september 2012 as I have worked till that day and adjust rest of the days with notice pay to arrive at full and final statement and current statement supplied by you is wrong.

Please advise.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 December 2012

Notice period/pay is mentioned in service conditions in appointment letter, Standing Orders, SE Act.

It is not clear what your establishment is?

---If it is covered under SE Act of the state you can access it on dept. of Labor/SE Inspectorate website of your state or buy it from market.

e.g. SE Act Delhi:

30. Notice of Dismissal.—(1) No employer shall dispense with the services of an employee who has been in his continuous employment for not less than three months, without giving such person at least one month’s notice in writing or wages in lieu of such notice:

Provided that such notice shall not be necessary where the services of such employee are

dispensed with for misconduct, after giving him an opportunity to explain the charge or charges alleged against him in writing.

{It is not clear that if your employer has charged you for misconduct completed the process and terminated you with notice of termination or notice pay in lieu of notice of termination. You need to clarify on this the amounts paid to you are notice pay or not? If yes the question arises if employer can tender notice pay in lieu of notice why can’t an employee? The condition applicable to employer and employee should be same and should promote equality and fairness. Do you know of any incidence where an employee has tendered notice of resignation and company accepted it before the expiry of notice period? If yes you can quote it. You may also quote other incidences where company as a habit violated rights of the employees and blocked the route of natural justice.}

You need to show this show cause notice and your reply to your lawyer.

You and your lawyer should analyze if charges leveled in show cause notice are true and can be proved by the company……………….If you are convinced that charges narrated in show cause notice are false and you have provided sufficient and apt explanation then you can also prove that order of termination is stigmatic/damaging and sue the company.

However let your lawyer comment on it.

You need to ask in writing from your employer the reason of separation recorded by it, the detail of amounts paid to you if these are not mentioned under clear heads and obtain reply in writing. You should insist and persist on examining your personnel file.

If employer maintains studied silence the Inspector under SE Act can order to Inspect records and registers/personnel file and you can chase and obtain copies, even if you have to obtain certified copies or thru RTI, from record collected by Inspector or in proceeding.

You may go thru this section and Act thoroughly.

The idea is now that you should be able to bring the adamant/ recalcitrant /egoistic/vindictive/ zealous officials of the company who have executed termination on the mat and chase/tame/shame them, and obtain some handle on the company so that your order of termination is called back.

You can do this without going to court and if you fail on your own/thru union etc you can approach a court of law.

It is felt that order of termination should be contested till it is called back, even if after litigation.

It is also felt that affected employee should let peers, fellow employees about the insides of the offenders in line management/HR and company so that employees stay away from them in future. Let such offenders face punishment and isolation.

It has been seen the moment employees intimates his decision to approach a court of law a postmortem of files is done by good offices and in case of lapses found of part of the line management and HR they are shown the door.

(2) No employee who has put in three months’ continuous service shall terminate his

employment unless he has given to his employer a notice of at least one month, in writing. In case he fails to give one month’s notice he will be released from his employment on payment of an amount equal to one month’s pay.

{You have tendered notice of 40 days which is in writing and which is > than a month. 40 days is not a small period of notice. Did you mention in notice and subsequent communications that you are willing to handover the charge-company property etc…..Company should have ensured smooth and graceful handover. The line management and HR in your company are not having any succession plan and neither have they seemed to be willing to share the work if they can’t designate a replacement. They are ill prepared to handle attrition in any case. For this reason they seem to be set to show an exemplary punishment to show other employees and subdue them to surrender to the tantrums of management. }

---If  IESO Act is applicable to your establishment, you should look into certified standing orders of the company which should be displayed at least on the notice board if not circulated to all employees. Employee can obtain standing orders of the company against a nominal fee of say Rs.10/-

If company has not framed certified standing orders model standing orders shall apply.

You may access Industrial Employment Standing Orders Act/ model standing orders at Dept. of Labor website of your state or buy from market.

e.g.

13.  Termination of employment.--(1) For terminating employment of a permanent workmen, notice in writing shall be given either by the employer or the workmen - one month’s notice in the case of monthly-rated workmen and two weeks’ notice in the case of other workmen: one month’s or two week’s pay, as the case may be, may be paid in lieu of notice.

(2)   No temporary workman whether monthly-rated, weekly-rated or piece-rated and no probationer or badli shall be entitled  to any notice or  pay in lieu thereof if his services are terminated ,but the services of a temporary workman shall not be terminated as a punishment unless he has been given an opportunity of explaining the charges of misconduct alleged against him in the manner prescribed in Paragraph 14.

(3)   Where the employment of any workmen is terminated, the wages earned by him and other dues, if any, shall be paid before the expiry of the second working day from the day on which his employment is terminated.

14.  Disciplinary action for misconduct.--(1) A workman may be fined up to two per cent of his wages in a month for the following acts and omissions, namely:

(2)   A workman may be suspended for a period not exceeding four days at a time, or dismissed without notice or any compensation in lieu of notice, if he is found to be guilty of misconduct.

(3)   The following acts and omissions shall be treated as misconduct.

e)             habitual absence without leave or absence without leave for more than 10 days,

[1](5) In awarding punishment under this standing order, the [2][authority imposing the punishment]shall take into account any gravity of the misconduct, the previous record, if any, of the workman and any other extenuating or aggravating circumstances, that may exist. A copy of the order passed by the 17[authority imposing the punishment] shall be supplied to the workman concerned.

16.  Certificate on termination of service.--Every permanent  workman shall be entitled to a service certificate at the time of his dismissal, discharge or retirement from service.

NOTE. - There is a provision under  this  Act for issuing a service certificate at the time of  dismissal, discharge or retirement and every person is entitled to take such certificate.

{The company has agreed to provide you service certificate. It is not clear company is demanding to refund which payouts paid to you as extra payments and which other payments are being demanded from you so that service certificate can be issued to you.}

“RESGNATION” means act of relinguishing his lein on employment by express or implied intention on part of the workmen. The mere acceptance of resignation is informal affirmative act of the employee to accede to his request for setting his account.

Notice pay is as per the exit clause of appointment letter. It is a compensation given by one party (Who broke the contract) to other party because of the breach of contract. Law regarding breach of contract is given in section 73 of Indian contract Act 1872.

The question arises now who has to pay to whom and what is to be paid??????

Has your company expressed to you in writing what payment it wants from you notice pay foe shortfall in notice or other damages/loss if any cited by it???

Yu can’t take away any amount paid to you if you have not worked to earn that amount.

If company has paid extra for 12 days it can recover the amount.

What is the amount of Rs7500/ for ????  Is it some notice pay??? Company should compute salary for period you have worked, paid leave, bonus, gratuity, performance pay etc …………in FNF statement and mention in each amount under relevant head to avoid any confusion and ambiguity.

If you do not understand you can ask to explain in writing.

Since now company is demanding that you refund some amount you should ask which amount and why it was paid?????

You should persist for DOL which is your last day in office as per your notice and final resignation, and get this DOL mentioned in FNF statement, service certificate etc… and all other docs. There can be no other date of separation as you have joined another employer. Do you want to be under dual employment???

You can also ask to supply you revised FNF statement in which all refund and correct amounts payable to you by company, and correct amounts payable by you to company  are clearly mentioned. Once you get correct FNF statement you should obtain other items also….e.g.  Acknowledgment of notice of resignation, acceptance of resignation, correct FNF statement with correct DOL and notice pay shown and adjusted in it, Form 16 as per correct FNF statement { Form 16 is issued at the end of financial year or upon separation}, PF number, PF a/c slips of  all years of service, attested copies of PF withdrawal/transfer forms, relieving letter, NOC/NDC etc…..

If you have been in touch with company and you have the record in writing and you have the counsel of a smart lawyer company may not succeed in proving the charge of absconding or abandonment.

If company has not raised any demand of other than notice pay then it is felt that company has erred in your favor.

Relieving letter is issued post all settlements. If you have settled all issues and payments with company why the company won’t issue reliving letter to you??

Designation alone does not decide employee is a workman or not. Your lawyer may opine that you fall within the category of workman. The labor laws limit the choice to employer therefore companies burn extra energy to subdue the employee to believe that he is not a workman.

Also if the employee is not a workman but company has erred company may not get relief even under Specific Relief Act.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Attached File : 362596884 delhi shops & establishments act, 1954.pdf, 362596884 model%20standing%20orders.doc downloaded: 106 times

Pankaj (AM)     19 December 2012

Hi Sir,

Thanks for the reply. I have posted them some questions and they replied me back which arises following questions.

The company is in haryana state and registered in andra pradesh as pvt ltd company. its global working firm like bpos. I worked till 18th sep 2012 and they paid me the salary for full month (1-sep-2012 to 30-sep-2012) as they might be expecting that, I will serve full notice period till 9th nov 2012., so they have have not stopped my pay for september month. Also Rs 7500 was also paid in addition in error as referal bonus. I have not refered any one. Now in full and final settlement amount they are not adjusting any notice pay recovery or leave balance pay. They just want me to pay back them the 12 days extra pay and Rs7500 paid in error. Also they are not providing me the releiving and do not want to tell me the reason of seperation mentioned by them in company records. I have below concerns which making me very confusing.

1)My appointment states the clause for sepration as - 3 months notice period or pay in lieu of notice period at discretion of management. they have not agreed with 40 days notice period. I left the company on 18th sep-2012. The  3 months comes from my resignation date- 10th aug-2012  as 9th nov 2012. They want to show my last working day as 9th nov-2012, even in my service certificate. Please advise, if i have not served the full notice  period as per my appointment letter clause. can company legally record 9th nov 2012 as my last working day. Please advise.

2) Also they have sent me the show cause notices after 18th sep 2012 and told me that you have chosen to abondan the services of the company after 18th sep 2012. but in our records your employment ends on 9th nov 2012.

Please advise on last working day recording legally.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     20 December 2012

You have posted that:

--“I have posted them some questions and they replied me back.”

Did you posy your questions is writing and did the company reply in writing?

If it is in writing it is on record.

Verbal statements are not on record.

If it is a verbal transaction you may submit the minutes of discussion in writing narrating the date of  representation/meeting/telephonic discussion etc and mention its date…… phone number, name/designation/dept/address of the company personnel…each questioned asked by you and its reply by company personnel.

Keep it specific.

After you have recorded/written your questions and answers of the company you may clarify and reiterate that:

You have worked till 18th Sep 2012, and submitted final resignation in writing and supplied by email/letter………..dated………subsequent to your notice of resignation dated……..{ enclose copies of all notice of resignation/reminders etc/final resignation and proof of their dispatch and delivery}. You may obtain POD from Post Office for speed post/redg. post booked by you by paying a fee and obtain both

Certificate of delivery generated by internet and issued under seal and signature of Post Master, without any charges

and

Certified copy of  run sheet of postman issued under seal and signature of Post Master against a fee of say Rs10/. The run sheet would have seal of company and name of company employee who has received the envelope booked by you.

If you have informed line management/HR in office you may mention with dates and enclose copies of emails etc…or mention the dates etc…

Hence your period of service is from your date of joining dated…….to date of resignation dated………..and not from dated….to dated….as being falsely claimed by company.

Company needs to correct its record as per your resignation and last day in office.

As you have resigned by submitting notice of resignation and final resignation in writing you have not absconded/abandoned the job as being falsely recorded by company in its records and your personnel file and you date of leaving the company is to be corrected to dated

If company has paid by error the salary for any extra day’s company may state so in writing and supply you the correct FNF statement, showing the adjustment of wrong entries and true amounts payable by company to you and payable by you to company.

You may affirm that if any net amount as per correct FNF statement is payable by you to company you shall tender it by crossed a/c payee cheque favoring the company at local office in Haryana to company official declared as competent by company in writing to you and competent official should be instructed to issue a receipt to you on letterhead of the company under his original seal and signature, on the spot.

Is payment of referral bonus mentioned in your pay slip? All payouts are computed in pay slip and subjected to tax treatment, and company is duty bound to supply you the pay slip showing each entry of each payout made to you.

If company has not supplied you the pay slip you should demand it in writing and obtain it from company. Till the company provided proof you may not accept any verbal statement. If you were not eligible for this referral bonus you may affirm that you shall tender it back to company. However you may pay back only after getting the correct FNF statement showing adjustment of excess pay and referral bonus.

It is imp that you get copy of Pay slip and correct FNF statement, with your correct DOJ and DOL, and reason of separation mentioned in company records.

Company may or may not mention reason of leaving in service certificate. If it mentions it in service certificate it is open and you can contest it. If it does not but mentions it during referral check, visa application, the next employer or verification agency may never provide it in writing to you and you shall again be in trouble. Therefore close the matter with company now and in writing.

1.” they have not agreed with 40 days notice period.”

Did the company ever supply you the communication in writing that your notice of resignation or resignation is not accepted??????

If it has not then it could have inserted a copy in your personnel file without dispatching it to you.

Hence you should demand the certified copy of communication if any sent to you as per its record on acceptance or rejection on your notice of resignation along with its certificate of dispatch and was it sent to you at your last local or permanent address or to some official of the company { ask full name, designation, dept, address} to hand it over to you.

You should affirm that you never received it by courier/email/redg or speed post and neither any of the company officials have supplied it by hand to you.

Your last day in office is your last day in service record and you should ensure that.

2. If you have replied to show cause notice, you may enclose the copy and copy of proof of its dispatch and POD.

You should ensure that you get reliving letter also along with reason of separation in writing, acceptance of resignation in writing , correct FNF statement, correct Form 16 as per correct FNF statement, PF number, PF a/c slips of  all years of service, attested copies of PF withdrawal/transfer forms { you may submit these immediately under acknowledgment} encashment of paid leave, bonus, performance bonus, gratuity { it is in your CTC sheet/you re eligible as per act}, NDC/NOC etc…

The subject has been discussed in length. It is up to you how you prefer to close it.

It is reiterated that you may approach a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer, elders in the family, competent and experienced well wishers and submit carefully structured/drafted replies/representations to the company and safeguard your interest and future.

You can approach lawful authority at place of your last posting.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register