LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kushal.ashok@gmail.com (Student)     12 August 2014

Principal harassing teachers via letters

In a certain school, the Principle has been issuing various letters to the Teachers over trivial issues and seems like his letters are suggesting a tone of harassment. I am writing this post to get professional help and get a better understanding of the possible actions and associated rules.

PFB the excerpt from most recent letter.
"In spite of many oral reminders and circulars given to you and all teaching staff regarding not to sit in the class during teaching, some of you have not shown any improvement in this regard and are still repeating the same practice without any fear in mind specially during the examinations.
It is very shocking to me that even during my routine visit to all the classes of the school in between the teaching periods, some of you are quite frequently found seated in their class. It simply indicates that you don't have any fear in your mind and regard to the head of the institution.

Today the undersigned personally observed you sitting on chair during the weekly test examination, therefore you are hereby directed to submit your written reply to the undersigned within 48 hours that why not the undersigned should not take a strict Disciplinary action against you?

Principal"

I request you to suggest a reply to this letter considering the fact that the recipient Teacher is 55 years old female and is suffering from diabetes, leg and muscle pain.

Though I understand the importance of an invigilator during an exam, I think all the factors should be considered for an experienced teacher who has been with the school for almost 15 years and is excellent at delivering quality education to her students. I think in spite of writing such letters, Principal should support his staff while covering the bases like assigning duty to a young co-teacher/attendant when he feels that such a requirement is not being fulfilled.

Looking forward to your help. Thanks.

Learning

8 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     14 August 2014

This type letter given by Principal is not harassement.

You have not stated if this is Govt school or private.

Has the teacher given anything in writing regarding health problem?

kushal.ashok@gmail.com (Student)     14 August 2014

Hi Sudhir

Thanks for your reply.
I agree that the usage of word "harassment" might not be justified if we consider only this letter; but the way oral communication is being done, does reflect it.

No written communication has been provided by the teacher with regard to her health problem.

Kindly suggest a reply ASAP becuase the deadline ends today.

Regards

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     14 August 2014

You have not stated if this is Govt school or private.

Half facts will lead to inappropriate advise.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 August 2014

The head of the Institution is not there to instill fear.

The rules of the institution is not to instill fear.

Of course during exams the invigilator should move and watch carefully.

1 Like

kushal.ashok@gmail.com (Student)     16 August 2014

@Sudhir: Sorry I missed that info again. It is a private school.

The reply to this letter has already been shared for now, but I would appreciate it if you share your views on how can such incidents be dealt with in future; and what can be the required steps to get on a safe side.

Regards

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 August 2014

In case the teacher was ill on particularly day and unble to move  then she should have either sought exemption from invigilation or be on medial leave.

If her physical ailment is such that she cannot move in class she is liable to discharge on medical ground.

Action of Principal is justified with respect to the particular instance.  Other asertions of the memo are vague.

No attachment found to your recent post.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 August 2014

It is grossly wrong to state that an employee can be discharged from employment if he/she is suffering from sickness::::::diabetes, leg and muscle pain.....................

This can not be done even if employee (teacher) is in Govt. Service.............................leave apart teacher in a private establishment...................... 

The principle is adopting written and verbal modes of communication to inculcate discipline and values amongst teachers and teachers should also understand it and co operate before suitable action is initiated against a few and everyone falls in line.

Teachers have formed many union's. Be part of such unions and project the transgression(s) if any by the Principle to the Managing Committee, officials designated in affiliated Board, State Education Act.............. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 August 2014

First of all it is not govt school as stated by the authro.

Any employee can be discharged if shown that he is physcially no more able to discharge duties.

at time private schools take undated resignation while joining.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register