Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

To_B_Lawyer (Student)     07 March 2012

Please advise!!

Hi,

I am a law student and my friend approached me the other day with a problem.

My friend’s grandparents had purchased a flat in 1982. The flat was on both her grandparents name (joint). Her grandfather passed away soon after, nominating his wife’s name. No will was ever made. He left behind 3 sons and his widowed wife.

Now the grandmother wants to give the flat to her eldest son (my friend’s father). She has made a will accordingly for her share of the flat. However, as regards the share of the grandfather, what kind of division will be made? Being a law student, I feel that since the family is a hindu family and since the property is self owned and not ancestral property, the Hindu Succession Act should be applied and hence there should be equal division of the grandfather’s share(50% of total property) into four equal parts-1 for the widow and the remaining three for the 3 sons (Class I heirs)(12.5% each, for the widow and her sons)

However, the lawyer she consulted told her that the Indian Succession Act will be applied as per which half of the grandfather’s share (half of 50% i.e. 25%) will go to the widow and the remaining half will be equally divided into 3 parts for the sons.

In short: the lawyer says that the grandmother will now have her 50% + 25% (Half of grandfather’s share) i.e. 75% totally and the remaining 25% will be distributed amongst the 3 sons.

Whereas as per Hindu Succession Act, I feel that the grandmother will be the owner of her 50% share + 12.5% (grandfather’s 50% divided into four equal parts), totally 62.5% of the flat.

Am I right here?

If not, kindly tell me the reason. Is the Indian Succession Act applicable to Hindus? Does buying property in joint name result in considering the property as coparcenary property? This is a very interesting problem and I wish to know your expert opinion.

Thanks in advance, :)

To_B_Lawyer 

Learning

4 Replies

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     07 March 2012

Hi ,

Theory of  inheritance which you  have  stated is correct one , the Indian Succession  Act has  nothing to  do with the question on hand.

Each son will get 12.5 pc  of the property  and the widow will have  12,5  and  her 50 pc  in all 62.5 pc ,  of the entire property. 

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     07 March 2012

Hi ,

Theory of  inheritance which you  have  stated is correct one , the Indian Succession  Act has  nothing to  do with the question on hand.

Each son will get 12.5 pc  of the property  and the widow will have  12,5  and  her 50 pc  in all 62.5 pc ,  of the entire property. 

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     07 March 2012

in the half share of the GF, his legal heris are entittle to claim equal share.  One share will be alloted to the GM also.

To_B_Lawyer (Student)     09 March 2012

Thank You sir!! :)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register