Further to our telephonic discussion, Ideas or Concepts cannot be copyrighted. Only literary, musical, artistic, dramatic works can be copyrighted. However, a product or process can be patented subject to conditions. Let me explain the basics of patent
Conditions of Patentability
1) Novelty (new) - A new technique which is not existing.
2) Inventiveness(non-obviousness) - It is not an obvious step.
3) Capable of Industrial Application - Industrial use
Lets see what are - Not Patentable
1) Inventions which are frivolous or which claim anything contrary to well established natural laws.'
2) Any invention can cause serious prejudice to human, animal or plant, life , helath or environment.
eg: food adulteration
3) In some case genes are not patentable.
4) The mere discovery of a new substance, which dose not result in the enhancement of the known efficacy
5) A substance obtained by mere admixture resulting only in the aggregation of the properties of the components thereof or a process for producing such substance.
eg.: Pharma industry
6) The mere arrangement or re arrangement or duplication of devices each functioning independently of another in a known way.
7) A method of agriculture or horticulture
8) Any process for the medicinal, surgical, curvative, prophylatic, diagnostics, therapeutic, or other treatment of human beings or animals to render them free of disease or to increase their economic value or that of their products.
9) A mathematical or business method or a computer program
10) literary, dramatic, musical or artistical etc.,
11) A mere scheme of rule or method of performing mental act or playing a game.
12) A presentation of information
13) topography of integrated circuits
14) An invention which is already existing in nature
eg: tulsi, neem, haldi etc.,
Conclusion: Yes, you are correct what you have read. A process may be patented. I believe your concept is a mere business method. Chances of patentable are very less. Unless it can become a process for cheap production & products can be developed based on that concept.
Feel free to contact me, if there are any concerns.
Corporate, Commercial & IP Lawyer
IP Lex Global Services
Mob: 0091-09902007635 / 34