IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hari Om   16 November 2016

Nri seeking counsel - false police report

While visiting India to meet my children, my ex-wife claimed that I hit her mother.There after, she filed a police complaint. My questions ( for which I would really prefer to retain a counsel and not try to practice Indian laws while overseas):-

1. Lodging a false report with the police is made punishable under section 182 and 211 IPC ( my Google search, pardon me). If this is a fact, then do I have any standing to bring any civil or criminal case against the ex-wife in India ? 

2. Can I file a criminal case ? What is the legal basis ? What damages can be recovered ?

3. Can I file a civil suit ? What is the legal basis and what damages can be recovered ? 



 4 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     16 November 2016

What is the status of the police complaint?

Hari Om   16 November 2016

Esq./Adv Venu

The status of police report/FIR is unknown. I need help with getting a copy of the report. Would you like to take up my case on full/limited basis ? 




Ashok Thakur (Senior Lawyer and International Law Consultant)     20 November 2016

Dear Hari,

I have already responded to two of your other querries through this portal, and would be more than happy to take up your cause.

Coming to your present querry, please be advised that your ex-wife has no locus standi to report this hitting incident of your mother-in-law to the police unless she is medically adjucated as speechless. 

Although, filing a false and frivolous criminal complaint with the police is made punishable under section 182 and 211 IPC, you are legally entitled to bring civil law suit for dematory damages at par with your financial capability and solvancy, as well as criminal case for libel (defamation) and extortion against your ex-wife in India. 

Ashok Thakur

Senior Advocate and Attorney

Supreme Court of India and United States

24x7 U.S. Hotline: +1 202 239 6780


Hari Om   21 November 2016

Esq. Thakur - Thanks for your prompt response. I have emailed you. Please send me your attorney-client representation letter asap.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query