Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raju (business)     12 August 2011

No income tax for nri ??

Hi Experts,

Is the basic exemption limit of 1,80,000 rupees available for an NRI working in China?

The salary income is in China. Tax is paid in China for this part and return is filed in China.

The only income in India is 1) Rent income from house property 2) Interest from Bank Fixed Deposits 3) Long term capital gains on sale of shares or mutual funds. The sum of all (1+2+3) is less than 1,80,000 rupees.

a) Is it a must for the NRI to file tax returns in India? If yes, should it include China income also?

b) Shall the NRI submit form 15G / 15H to avoid TDS on Fixed Deposits?

c) Are the Long term capital gains on shares or mutual funds subject to TDS?

Best Regards,
Raju.

Learning

3 Replies

Rajesh (Engineer)     13 August 2011

Hi Raju,

There is no CGT on long term capital gains after 1 year. You need not pay for the income in China. But if you are transferring the salary or savings to a native savings bank in India, you have to pay  tax for it. If you send it to a NRI bank account, you don't need to pay tax for that. It is not a must to file tax in India if you are not in India for the whole of a financial year. Not sure about the 15G/15H.

Regards,

Rajesh

Raju (business)     13 August 2011

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the information. If the salary is transferred to native savings bank in India, should the NRI has to pay tax for the transferred amount (OR) should he / she has to pay tax for the bank interest later on?

The NRI is in India for less than 3 months in each financial year. Does it mandate to file income tax returns?

Can you please answer this query also?

Is the basic exemption limit of 1,80,000 rupees available for an NRI? If the sum of all indian earnings is less than the basic exemption, can the NRI avoid filing the income tax returns?

Best Regards,

Raju.

(Guest)

Hi Raju,

Me too have same situation, I am not an expert on taxation but what I have learned and started excercising is:

- make all remittances into NRE a/c (which by defaulf is a tax free a/c for principal and interest incomes)

- file income tax return, showing your resident status (as NRI - as per the definition of income tax - enclosed file will help u to determine the residential status). While filing the IT return, no need to declare your incomes outside India (as there is no statutory column/space to fill in that info)

for other queries even i would look forward to have a knowledgable answer from the member here.

thank you.

Attached File : 129950 205682 41 residency calculator.xls downloaded: 165 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register