LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravindra K. Banthia (None)     03 August 2022

Need advice on handling anti-social neighbours

Request to a moderator: Please move this post to the appropriate forum if this is not the correct one.

A few years back, a person bought a plot of land near our house and constructed tiny rooms.

One neighbour on mine even suspected that the owner was constructing a slum-like building for labourers or street hawkers.

It turns out, my neighbours were confirmed.

The plot of land about 30 feet by 30 feet (possibly smaller) has a varying population (sometimes as high as 50 people). The people are from another state. I do not wish to name the state because I do not discriminate against any state or caste or religion.

While the adults go off to work during the day, the women stay at home (I think; it is possible some go out for work).

The children (and there are many of them) do not go to school.

They come out of the house for most of the day and create a lost of noise.

These children play in the open are (which is not a named lane) usually just running around screaming; sometime they play with stones and sticks.

Many of the children do not wear footwear.

Some of these children would climb over my boundary walls which are about 6 feet on the outside. I have told them repeatedly to come in through the gates. Now a days, I just leave the main gate open so the children refrain from climbing the wall.

I have never scolded the children. Once I just asked them whether they go to school or do they just play all day. That was followed by three days of stone-pelting on my house.

That same community of people live in other house nearby, and some of those boys about 10 to 14 years old were mainly responsible for the stone pelting.

I talked about this to a garage owner very close to my house, as he is a versatile person and well-respected in the area as a non-nonsense man. He had the stone pelting stopped by issuing a warning that he would lock up anyone who threw stones at my house.

From time to time, the children from the neighbouring house throw small stones, apparently at the puppies in my out area (within my boundary walls). These are pups born of street dogs.

Today, the neighbour’s children threw stones several times as my gates and house.

I do not go out to talk to them. I went to my roof to see if they were around. They had gone into their house.

I saw the adult (possibly the main tenant) and requested him to advise the children to not throw stones. I said I did not want to call the police or the matter would escalate.

Can someone please advice on the best way to bring this situation under control?

Are there laws that prohibit anti-social behaviours?

Are children (or anyone for that matter) allowed to make noise and play on any open space outside their homes?

Can the police help in such matters or do I have to file a case against the tenants and the landlord?

Learning

3 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     04 August 2022

Be brief and specific if you are seeking obligation of experts on this platform.

Ravindra K. Banthia (None)     04 August 2022

Thank you, Dr. Vashista (Advocate).

Some labourers (apparently from Bihar) are indulging in anti-social activities, including excessive shouting and even throwing stones at my house.

Are there laws that prohibit anti-social behaviours?

Are children (or anyone for that matter) allowed to make noise and play on any open space outside their homes?

Can the police help in such matters or do I have to file a case against the tenants and the landlord?

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 August 2022

Did you file police complaint ???

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register