LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Veeresh Jogur   04 July 2023

My second wife's mother in law has gifted some agricultural land to my wife

My second wife(widow) first Mother in has gifted some agricultural land, which is transferred from here husband after his death. Can brother of  My wife's father in law can sue against her?


 7 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     04 July 2023

Your second wife's mother-in-law is not your mother?  Your query is not clear.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     04 July 2023

If the absolute owner has gifted the agriculture land to your wife by registered giftdeed  then no body can challenge it.

1 Like

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     05 July 2023

Facts posted are not very clear, if it is a true and not a time pass story.

Show the document to a local prudent lawyer for appreciation of facts/ documents and professional advise.

Veeresh Jogur   05 July 2023

My second wife's first husbands mother.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     05 July 2023

Can brother of  My wife's father in law can sue against her?

He has no locus standi , he is no wehre in the picture

1 Like

Niharika Lohan   08 July 2023

Hi, I’m Adv. Niharika and here is my take on your query.

If your second wife’s Ex-mother in law was absolute owner of the property then she has discretion to dispose of or alienate her property to any one. In your case it is agricultural land which is gifted to your second wife.  In order to be a valid gift deed it should be effected by (a registered instrument signed by or on behalf of the donor, and attested by at least two witnesses).

NO, Brother of your wife’s father in law can not bring a suit against her in case he has no interest(title) in the property.

Even if her ex husband mysteriously found alive, he also cannot challenge the same.

I hope you have a better understanding of the legalities now. In case of further queries, you can contact me via email at

1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     12 July 2023

Yes, the transfer by gift is valid in every respect. There is cause of action for any of the relatives of ex-husband to agitate over the issue.

However, the posting suggests deeper issues, If so, post complete facts.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More