LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjib Sen (Asstt.Program Manager)     27 June 2013

Mutation inestate

My father died intestate. He had entered into an agreement to sell our family home and had taken an advance against the consideration amount. My mother, sister and I (son) are the only legal heirs. We are ready to sell the building to the party with whom my father had entered into agreement. This party has asked us to produce succession certificate or letter of administration before executing the deed of conveyance. We have sworn an affidavit before a first class judicial magistrate, declaring ourselves to be the only three legal heirs. The buyer is not prepared to accept the affidavit as evidence of succession.  Since it is expensive and time consuming we have decided against applying for succession certificate. Instead we plan to get the property mutated in our name in the records of Kolkata Municipal Corporation. Can we do it and what documents do we have to provide? If the property is mutated in our joint names, can the buyer still demand succession certificate? Please advise!

Learning

1 Replies

sumana (practice)     28 June 2013

will you get the mutation done without the succession certificate.... i doubt. Pls check with the concerned Revenue officer.  the most vital thing for you now is to get the succession certificate.  The buyer will difinietely ask for that.  You write to the Distruct Judge about the succession certifiate. Its just an application stating the cuase of death of your father and date of death (attach the death certificate of your father with the application) and also state who are the legal heirs of the deceased. and it is also not that time consuming what you are apprehending.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register