LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ponarumugam (Executive)     03 February 2021

Mother-in-law threatening

Dear All,

I filed H.M.O.P under Section 11 of HMA to declare marriage between me and wife as null and void.

During trail, wife gold and silver was hand overed through the counsel as per family court Judge direction.

During trail was going, wife died in her parent house. Based on the death certificate, case was abated and I got the order.

Now, my Mother-in-Law is sending private lawyer notice and asking maintenance to her and asking same items given to her daughter once again to me.

She even threatens me stating she will file FIR in all women police station for maintenance and return of articles

Kindly guide me how to handle her.


 1 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   03 February 2021

As per your situation you should obtain some proofs which can be later on used as evidence to prove that your mother-in-law has been harassing you for a while by threatening to file a false FIR and a false complaint (for jewellery and items that you've already provided in court).

As per the scenario, you may proceed to file a suit under sections 503, 354 and 420 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) for Criminal Intimidation, Harassment and Cheating respectively.

# Section 503 of IPC deals with - Criminal intimidation.

The section further states that -
"Whoever threatens another with any injury to his person, reputation or property, or to the person or reputation of any one in whom that person is interested, with intent to cause alarm to that person, or to cause that person to do any act which he is not legally bound to do, or to omit to do any act which that person is legally entitled to do, as the means of avoiding the execution of such threat, commits criminal intimidation."

# Section 420 of IPC deals with - Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property.

The section further states that -
"Whoever cheats and thereby dishonestly induces the person deceived to deliver any property to any person, or to make, alter or destroy the whole or any part of a valuable security, or anything which is signed or sealed, and which is capable of being converted into a valuable security, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine."

Filing in a suit as per the above mentioned provisions will help you to get rid out of the situations/problems that your mother-in-law is creating.
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query