LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ravi shankar sharma (advocate)     27 July 2012

Mistake in efiling of return

Dear Learned members,

I have efiled my return in ITR 4 meant for legal professional  for the first time but when i got acknowledgement print, I felt that I have done some mistake as there was no reflection of my gross total income, deductions claimed & total income.however TDS detail is correct.

Please let me know what wrong could have been done by me & how to rectify it.

Thanks in advance.


R S Sharma


 9 Replies

Rohit Agarwal (Company Secretary)     27 July 2012

Dear Sir,

You may file a revised ITR 4 specifying the acknowledgement number.


Rohit Agarwal

ravi shankar sharma (advocate)     27 July 2012

Originally posted by : Rohit Agarwal

Dear Sir,

You may file a revised ITR 4 specifying the acknowledgement number.


Rohit Agarwal

Dear Sir, 

At the outset thanks to you for prompt reply.

apart from filing revised return tell me if possible how to rectify it as I think there must be some way definitely if someone does any mistake while efiling.

I hope you could get my point of view.




JHARNA SAXENA (Partner)     30 July 2012

Dear Ravi

The only solution to correct the figure is to revise your return. There is no consequences of revised return if original return is filed within the time limit as prescribed under section 139(1). At the time of revising you just need to file return under section 139(5).

For your reference section 139(5) :-

 If any person, having furnished a return under sub-section (1), or in pursuance of a notice issued under sub-section (1) of section 142, discovers any omission or any wrong statement therein, he may furnish a revised return at any time before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier.




CA Jharna Saxena


ravi shankar sharma (advocate)     31 July 2012

Dear Madam,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Further this question was put to members only for the reason that I saw there was a display regarding rectification in the it department website thats why I was trying to grab some info regarding the same only.


Adv. Ravi Shanker Sharma  



Dear Ravi, 

Muje nahe lagta ke return revise karna ke jarurat hai. ap ke return Gross Total Income & Deductions & Tds According to  26AS perfect hai to app returns revise na kara. aur Jaha app ko lagta hai mistake hai books mein waha ush mistake ko thk kar le. but app ke Gross total income change na ho.

Asha (Proprietor)     04 August 2012

completely agree with rajesh sir..

 but before generating xml. file check PARTB-T1-TT1 sheet in which you can check income - deduction - tds -tax paid details etc.

and also Do not forget to fill receipt no which was generated .


CA. Vikash Dwivedi (Chartered Accountant)     05 August 2012

Dear Sharma ji,

There is misunderstanding among common people with respect to filing of Revised Return. Provision of Revised Return is not made to file retrurn with any number/ documents in original then revise it 100 time... Since this common mistake/ misunderstand the ITOs are sometimes lenient on this.  

Revised return is filed on Discovery of any Omission or Wrong statement". the term 'DISCOVERY' has some depth in its meaning. It means some info which was NOT EXISTING ON THE DATE OF FILING ORIGINAL RETURN.

In your case there is NO need to file revised return. since all the information was available at the time of filing return but you feel you have missed something to mention. 

send your Acknowledgement (ITR-V) to CPC. you will receive intimation/ notice u/s 143 (1) where you will be asked to resubmit all documents to support you ITR vs TDS .

visit incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in login to your acccount then click on my account then select rectification. Guidelines are given there.

hope this will help.

ravi shankar sharma (advocate)     06 August 2012

Dear all learned members,

Thanks to all who contributed by their prompt responses and piece of valuable advices on this query raised by me.

Best Regards,


R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     16 August 2012

Your problem: "I felt that I have done some mistake as there was no reflection of my gross total income, deductions claimed & total income."

Will you please explain, in what respect there was no reflection of these items? Do you mean that you merely omitted to fill up the cages for these items? Do you mean that you omitted to claim the deductions? -

Please note that you are not required to furnish with the return any supporting evidence.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register