LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harpreet Kaur (Company Secretary)     11 June 2013

Licences required for hotel opening

Hi evryone...question Especially for the Chandigarh people.

One of my frnd is thinking to open a 5 star hotel in chandigarh...but before opening it he wants to know what approvals and permissions are required and from where? As he is new to chandigarh so dont have idea how to directly approach any adminsitration..

Kindly list me out the approvals and Licences required for opening a 5 Stra hotel in Chandigarh so that we can have idea to initiate the same.


Thanks in Advance



 1 Replies

srishti jain   29 July 2021

In India, the restaurant licenses required to open a restaurant are:

  1. FSSAI License- The Food License is one of the most important licenses required to open a restaurant. It is obtained from the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI).
  2. Liquor License- If your restaurant serves liquor, then obtain the Liquor License from the Local Excise Commissioner. The forms are available at the respective State Government websites.
  3. Health/Trade License- It ensures that your restaurant stands corrected under the health concerns of the Health Department. It takes around 60 days to be issued to you after your submission of the form and documents.
  4. Eating House License - The Licensing Police Commissioner of Chandigarh will provide it.
  5. Shop and Establishment License- In India, you must register your restaurant under the Shops and Establishment Act.
  6. Fire Safety License- A No-Objection-Certificate (NOC) from the fire department is required to run a restaurant. There is no fee required for NOC as of now.
  7. Lift Clearance- In case you want to install a lift in your restaurant, you need to get clearance from an inspector from the electricity department as well as the Labour Commissioner of Chandigarh.
  8. Music License- You need to obtain a restaurant music license to play music at your restaurant from Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL).
  9. Certificate of Environmental Clearance- you are expected to apply for the Certificate of Environmental Clearance to ensure that its operations must not negatively harm the environment.
  10. Signage License- You need to obtain a signage license from the Municipal Corporation to legally being able to use posters, graphics, and paintings to market your restaurant in the nearby area.

Hope it helps,



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register