Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     29 September 2010

Is there Stamp Duty for transfers within family?

In our co-operative housing society one flat is owned by 3 brothers. They inherited the flat from their parents. The eldest brother has been admitted as member and the other 2 brothers as Associate Members. Now the first 2 brothers have executed a release deed in favour of the youngest brother releasing their respective shares for considerations of Rs.12 lakhs each. Total:24 lakhs.

The youngest brother named Giridhar produced the Release Deed to the Secretary and requested him to transfer the flat and share certificates to his name. The Secretary told him that it was a case of transfer and hence liable to stamp duty.

Mr. Giridhar in support of his claim that he is not liable to pay stamp duty produced 2 Bombay High Court judgments. The 2 judgments are attached herewith.

In both the cases the release was within the family and one or more family members have renounced his/her share in favour of the other family member/s without any consideration. The judgement specifically contains the phrase "without consideration". The second judgement relies on the first judgement.

I am of the opinion as Giridhar is paying consideration to his brothers to get their shares, the cited judgements will not apply to his case as regards liability to pay stamp duty.

I wish to know the opinion of the learned members of the forum and also whether they know any case similar to that of Giridhar.

MPS Ramani

Learning

9 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     29 September 2010

Dear Ramani,

You are absolutely right. When the moment there is consideration, there is transfer of immovable property and it will definitely attract applicable stamp duty.  It does not matter whether the transfer is taking place between brothers or sisters.

1 Like

Bayya Reddy (Legal executive )     30 September 2010

Dear Ramani whether the property patition between the brothers or family members or others what ever it may be, if the property is immovable we should pay the stamp duty under  Stamp Act.

Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     30 September 2010

Hello, Mr. Ramani, u r registered a document in registrar office with actual stamp duty and thereafter transfer the property in society record.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     30 September 2010

Dear Bharatkumar Sir:

The Release Deed as sumitted by the party is not registered, but only notarised.

MPS Ramani

Bharatkumar (ADVOCATE )     01 October 2010

Registered documnet is best way for your side otherwise as u like. 

sonali (Junior lawyer)     08 May 2012

Pls suugest me

deceased mother having 3 children 1 daughter and 2 son  according to nomination form society  transfer the share in favour of dauther , dauther made release deed in favour of her two brothers so for this release deed society asked to pay stamp duty bt when there is release deed between brother and sister  there is need to stamp duty " because it is transfer in the family only

pls let me know is the stamp duty compulsary

sagar (LEGAL ADVISOR)     03 November 2014

we have purchased flat at navi mumbai. agreement is on both names brother and me. now we want to separate paying his 50%. which agreement we have to do?

sagar (LEGAL ADVISOR)     03 November 2014

we have purchased flat at navi mumbai. agreement is on both names brother and me. now we want to separate paying his 50%. which agreement we have to do?

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     04 November 2014

I think that you want to pay off your brother so that the flat will be in your own name only. You may approach a lawyer to draft an agreement. The deed would be liable to stamp duty at the present market rate of the flat for the purpose of computation of stamp duty. As you are purchasing back only your brother's half-share the stamp duty will be only for the half-share.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register