Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Goal Rai   22 May 2021

Is once a tenant always a tenant true?

Respected Intellectuals,
Me and my family have been residing as tenants with no landlord in Siliguri, West Bengal for the past 20 years. We have resided in the same place for more than 50 years (acc. to my grandparents) and were paying rent to our landlord until his untimely demise. So we haven't paid our rent for more than 20 yrs and living here uninterrupted as no-one has yet come.to our doorstep claiming to be the legal heirs of the late landlord. I want to renovate the structure as it is old and fragile but am not aware of the leagalities. Will I be reimbursed for my expenses if I proceed with it or what is the best option for me to proceed with for the best of my family interest legally? Please help.

Learning

10 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     22 May 2021

Rent Control Act is a State subject, which differ from one State to another State.

It is true and correct that "a tenant is always a tenant"

Move a case to Rent Controller / Civil Judge of jurisdiction for grant of permission to renovate the demised premises.

It is better to consult and engage a local prudent lawyer for analyses of facts/ documents, professional advise and necessary proceeding.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     22 May 2021

What about Tax payment records/mutation with Municipality/Corporation?

If those records state that the original landlord is still the owner as per records, unless you get such declaration from a competent court, without any valid title deed in any family member's name, it is highly doubtful whether you can claim title, but possession can not be disturbed.

Goal Rai   22 May 2021

But Sir will I be reimbursed if I proceed for the same cuz the expenses look pretty costly around 2-3 lakes.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     22 May 2021

How much rent you have saved for 20 years and also you do not wish to spend Rs.2 to 3 lakhs for getting built by another man?     If you want ownership legally, you have to proceed legally, if you do not want to become owner, continue possession till it is challenged by some other in due course.

P. Venu (Advocate)     22 May 2021

Anyhow, you have been staying rent-free for the past two decades. What is the problem is spending two or three lakhs for the benefit of you and your family? Legalities could be worked out as and when such situation arise. 

1 Like

Goal Rai   22 May 2021

@Prasad Sir - Actually I want to demolish the structure and build a new strong structure as we have been facing water leakage problems through the roof since ages. So am I allowed to carry on the work? I fear that I don't get into any legal troubles as I am not the owner. And about your query regarding rent, it would never add up to 2-3 lakhs even after the next 10 yrs.

@Venu Sir - What should I do? Many have suggested me to claim ownership through adverse possession. All I want is to build a new better structure and I am not sure whether I am allowed to do so until I claim ownership. Please suggest.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     22 May 2021

(!) You can not demolish or make any permanent structural alterations in the property without WRITTEN permission from the Owner/Landlord AND local municipal corporation or Panchayat as the case may be. (2) You can not demand any reimbursement for the amount spent on repairing unless you have written consent of the Owner/Landlord to that effect. (3) Since you have been paying rent in the past you are in a position of a confirmed legal tenant and it will not be possible for you to claim adverse possesssion, and in case of claim of adverse possession your chances of winning are negligible.

Goal Rai   22 May 2021

@Kishor ji - So I am suppose to stay in the same condition as it is? Or is there a better option you would suggest in the better interest of my family? And regarding the payment of rent, it was simply a verbal agreement between the landlord and my grandparents. But again, I am not seeking it as an opportunity to claim the property. I simply want to live with a proper roof over my head, that's all.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 May 2021

You have stated tht the landlord/owner has died more than 20 years ago and you have not been paying any rent for the last 20 years or so, then you can perfect the title to the property operating law of adverse possession. 

The  tenant can claim adverse possession if there was any breach of contract, or any action of the owner which proves that permissive possession was ceased. Thus, if the contract is terminated by either of the parties, the clock would start clicking. If after termination tenant does not vacate the property within 12 years or if an owner does not claim its ownership rights then the tenant can claim adverse possession after completion of 12 years.

In your case the lease agreement between the landlord and the tenant stood automatically terminated upon the death of the landlord  and the payment of rent amount also stopped thereafter. 

It is a doctrine through which ownership of a property is transferred to the other individual if that individual is successful in fulfilling the following elements-

1. Actual- there has to be an actual-physical entry by the individual with the intent of keeping it solely for oneself. The individual need to exercise domain over the property just like an original owner.
  2. Continuous- the individual needs to occupy the property continuously for more than 12 years. The possession should not be interfered or discontinued in between. As per articles 64 and 65 of the Limitations Act, 1963, there has to an absence of actual possession by the original owner for 12 years. The period of limitations starts from the date when the individual makes an open acquisition of the property.
  3. Exclusive- the individual needs to have sole physical occupancy of the property. One of the ways to prove sole physical occupancy is to make physical improvements like construction. However, this does not discard the scope of joint tenancy. For example, if two occupants are acquiring a property jointly against the owner, then both of them can claim adverse possession.
  4. Open- the individual needs to make the acquisition obvious to the entire world by occupying the land openly. One way of establishing one’s possession is by making the fence, improving the property, doing construction, etc. It has to be a clear notification to the neighbors and the owners that the land has been acquired by the individual.
  5. Hostile- the individual needs to occupy the land against the rights of the true owner. It cannot be based on the consent of the owner. One way is through the color of title. It happens when someone occupies the property based on some title deed which is defective.

You may first file file a suit for declaration to declare your title to the property operating the law of adverse possession after which you can go for the proposed repairs of the building.

1 Like

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     23 May 2021

Hostile- the individual needs to occupy the land against the rights of the true owner. It cannot be based on the consent of the owner. One way is through the color of title. It happens when someone occupies the property based on some title deed which is defective. 

A TENANT IS IN POSSESSION OF THE PROPERTY WITH THE CONSENT OF THE OWNER/LANDLORD. HE CAN NOT BE SAID TO BE IN HOSTILE POSSESSION. 

Read more at: https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/is-once-a-tenant-always-a-tenant-true--217688.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register