LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harpreet (freelance)     19 March 2010

income tax summons

will the outright purchase of a new car by paying Rs.5 lakh attract income tax summons? i am an assessee and pay TDS.

Learning

5 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     19 March 2010

NOT NECCASARILY YOU MAY BE SERVED WITH A NOTICE, HOWEVER IF YOU HAVE PAID THROUGH CASH THEN THERE ARE CHANCES THAT THEY MAY SERVE YOU WITH A NOTICE TO EXPLAIN THE SAME.

Vineet (Director)     19 March 2010

Income Tax Summons u/s 131 are issued by assessing officer or Investigation officer during pendancy of enquiry or assessment. Summons may be issued to assessee or a third party witness to enforce attendance, record statement or production of  certain information.

Outright purchase of a car at the most may lead to selection of case for scrutiny if the purchase consideration is disproportionate to disclosed income of the person depending upon the criteria decided by CBDT. If you have explainable sources of purchase of car, you need not to worry.

Harpreet (freelance)     19 March 2010

i am paying through cheque only.

i understand that some people, even if they  have the money, take a loan and puchase a car and after six months, they close the loan. This is just to fool the income tax people. But what i want to ask is, Can income tax people be fooled so easily? They surely know about such a practice going on and must be monitoring car loans that are foreclosed.

Vineet (Director)     20 March 2010

Nobody is fooled by such tactics. The department selectively scrutinises the cases depending upon revenue potential and efforts involved.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     23 March 2010

Does It Dept take any action if summons u/s 131is not responded? What can it do?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register