Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

aksarhils53   07 November 2020

I have a question about mergers and acquisitions.

Hello. I am starting Law School in the Fall and upon trying to find out which field I would want to enter, my main interest has so far been corporate law with a concentration in M&A. It seems like the more I research about the field and see Q&As/etc given by people who work in that field, I just want to pursue it even further. I've been slowly falling in love with pursuing it day by day.

However, nearly every time I bring it up in a group of law students or a forum, someones usually chimes in about how horrible M&A is. I never got why. Can someone please explain to me the downsides of M&A besides the stress? I mean, if you're not willing to handle incredible amounts of stress, why become a lawyer? I'm just trying to understand why it seems to be universally hated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Learning

1 Replies

Priaanti Umeshwar Thakre   10 November 2020

Hello,

Congratulations on starting your law school this fall. Knowing where your interests lie does give you an edge over the others and I am glad to know you have found a course you would like to study. 

Mergers and Acquisitions of corporate law, in my opinion, is quite like Math. If you take an active interest, are patient enough to explore the myriad dynamics of the subject and put in consistent practice - there is no denying the fun and beauty of arithmetic. The same applies to M & A, a consistent, patient approach. 

The pop culture however, with its Sunny Deols and Harvey Spectres, paints a false image of practice of law. The quick, righteous, argumentative struggle for justice is seldom the case. And law aspirants influenced by these false notions, often find the slow - brew of M & A, a little tedious for their 'style'. I am sure the laws in India, the way and pace at which they function in a courtroom, along with the kind of training and exposure provided to aspirants in the field of M & A - has a bearing in forming of the popular negative view. We should also take an objective view of how this course is taught in law schools. The next time someone shares their underwhelming experience with the subject, try and find out why. Perhaps, the way they were introduced to the course is the culprit.

To me however, the opinions you shared sound more stereotypical and a reflection of a myopic view. Try not to let that affect your enthusiasm. Given how excited you are to start your classes, you shall soon list the pros and cons of the course yourself.

Don't forget to share your views with us!

All the best.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register