IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit (Project Manager)     18 May 2010

How can i Change Caste

I am a 27 yr old SC category(Turaiha) Boy, m in love with my graduation classmate who belongs to OBC caste. we both have decided that we will marry each other. But her family are not at all agreeing for this. Her family has asked her either to choose him or them. But we find it too-too difficult to live without each other. Our relationship is 2 years old and we both are very serious for each other, But her family is pressurizing her to get married to a boy of her caste.they say that Rather u can elope with that guy. and it will spoil my family's reputation. so we will take poision and die. plz suggest how to make her parents agree.I feel very much helpless in even thinking to live without her. as he is best for me..(Acc to me).is there any way out by which i can called as upper caste not SC??plz tell if there is any any way so dat her parents become agree on caste issue.


 25 Replies

Harshada Shukl Kulkarni (Advocate)     18 May 2010

There is no way  you can change your caste. After reading your story it seems that you have lost faith in yourself. First of all don't think of taking any drastic step as if the girl is major and is ready and willing to marry you then no person can stop you to marry her. If  both of you are Hindu then you can marry under the Hindu Marriage Act. otherwise you can marry under Special marriages  Acts.  Also,  you and your girlfriend both have to first think of changing the minds of her parents in proper way  and to convience them that if the two persons are comfertable with each other and that you are capable of keeping their daughter in good and proper condition and provide her everything and she will be happy if she marries you instead of marrying to some unknown person from her own caste.  If  the girl is not ready and willing to go beyond the wish of her parents then you can't force her to do so and in that case you will have to change your mind, instead of thinking of dying and weasting your precious life.

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     18 May 2010

caste can not be changed, as it based upon the birth of the concerned person. therefore leave this thinking that - how caste can be changed?

you take sometime to mix up with your girlfriend's family, project yourself as a good, gentle and deserving boy before them.

if they are still rigid then take some more time.


N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     18 May 2010

No, be patience and also be wise and dont take such hasty decision of taking poison, as it will not serve you and your girl any useful purpose. Take the suggestions as suggested by Kulkarni and Arup.

Ashok Yadav (Lawyer)     18 May 2010

Cast can not be changed. If u want to leave your cast you can change your religion. But it wont help you to get your goal. So act as per advice of the Ld. friends and try to solve the problem amicably.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     18 May 2010

change of religion does not amount to change of caste.

caste decided on the basis of birth.

if a person change his religion then also he is entitled to get the benifit of caste.

Ashok Yadav (Lawyer)     18 May 2010

Mr. Arup Kumar Gupta, will you pls explain under which law the person who change his religion can take benefit of his cast. Can u pls specify  the Act or any SC ruling in this regard. I want to know it because as per my view if a person has change his religion means he has left all his rights in his family & property.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     18 May 2010

"change his religion means he has left all his rights in his family & property." - wrong.

no law is there that, change of religion will deprive one, from his property or caste benifit. on the contray property is one's constitutional right. caste benifit given to one's caste bassis, not religion basis. religion is changeable not caste. i have seen several cases where caste benifit remains intact after change of religion. the party officially inform about  his change of religion to his office, central govt - undertaking.

perhaps one supreme court rulling is also there in this effect. but i do not have it.

Amit (Project Manager)     19 May 2010

Her family is not ready yet. They don't get permission her to say anything. what can i do.

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     20 May 2010

Life is precious. Do not spoil it . Please wait and see. If your partner is much more  fond of her caste and parents  please let her allow to leave you and join them. If otherwise, marry her and lead a sober life and try to become a standing example for others. Do not  haste. Hindrance in love and solving them  is  praised as beauty of love.   

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     22 May 2010

I support mr haridasan's advice. please follow.

cherub (student)     15 March 2012

hi, i have a question in this case.. 

if mom belongs to backward caste and dad belongs to schedule caste means..is there any rights that child has to change its caste after an particular age...like a child can choose its citizenship after an particular age if mom and dad belongs to two different  countries.. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     16 March 2012

Mr Cherub you hve no option of coice.  Your caste stauts will be that of your father.

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     16 March 2012

caste does not make a person good / bad.

caste is decided by birth.

intercaste marriages are promoted by govt. itself.

NILESH GURAV (OWNER)     14 February 2014





Attached File : 755225164 img299.jpg downloaded: 89 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query