LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Girlfriend extracting money on promise of marriage


My marriage ended in divorce after 6 years with the Hon'ble court granting divorce u/s 13B with no claims of monetary compensation from either side. My wife is taking care of our child and will continue to take care till 18 years of age.

A year later I met this girl and started seeing each other every weekend. Now we are very good friends and are seeing each other and chatting regularly. I expressed my love for her and wish to marry her if she also loves me. I also proposed to her formally and gave her an engagement ring. She asked me to wait a year or two until her older sister gets married and she acheives her career goals which I agreed. She has asked me financial help few times and I have given her. First it was to repay someone who paid for her father's hospital expenses which I gave without hesitation. Later I have paid for her two-wheeler loan installment or cash from time to time. She has  always taken money in cash and there is no evidence of money transactions. We go out in my car and eat outside sometimes and other times we chat.

As our relationship is based on mutual liking and trust I dont have any complaints so far. I know her and she respects me and I want it to remain a good relationship forever. Now she is asking for bigger amount in loan which I know she will never repay and ask me to pay for.

Henceforth I want to keep record of money lent to her. Later if she decides to marry someone else then all the money given to her in good faith should not go waste. As of now I have not asked her to repay my money but henceforth she must pay back my money because she is asking for a loan which basically means she does not intend to keep her promise of marriage.

I seek your legal advice in this matter.


 20 Replies


My girlfriend knows about my divorce and my wife knows I am meeting this girl. My wife simply suggested '.. if she is good then marry her .. if she is after your money leave her'.

TGK REDDI   24 March 2018

You can't recover your money against her wish.     Any record you maintain will simply be rubbish.

Woman is not punished for breaking promise.     Should, of course, not be.     Man is punished for breaking promise.    Should, again of course, not be.

Breaking a promise shouldn't be an offence.    And is not, I think.     But why is a boy punished?       What punishment?      Marriage.       Is marriage a punishment? 


At that time my lawyer had advised me to sign an agreement of sponsorship with her specifying the terms and tenure of repayment and get it registered in the sub-registrar's office. I did not go into any agreement as I reasoned it would be futile making her pay me back my money anyways. I do not want pay more money now. I have been advised to simply ignore her calls and avoid her.

TGK REDDI   24 March 2018

Your lawyer advised you well.


I express my gratitude to all who responded to my query.

Your valuable advice received within a short time is highly appreciated.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 March 2018

Given facts compell me to diagree with your lawyer.


She is not at all going to sign any such instrument.


You should better forget about that money.  You are in any case not getting it back even after coming out of Jail. [yes take action to recover the money and you can see no of IPC sections against you]

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 March 2018

you said

"Later if she decides to marry someone else then all the money given to her in good faith should not go waste"


You may like it or not but the truth is that this money has gone waste.


Sooner you acccept this [without losing more money on litigation/bail/ bribes/ extortion money to goons in jail (which they will claim for not bearing you) and without dent on career]  better it may be.

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 March 2018

Your ex. Spouse has given you practical and wise advise..

From your query and posts you are also practical...

Don’t lend money is one perspective…and is concluded by you as well.


1 Like


Dear Sir/Madam,

Since your case is complicated case as such I require documents and same may be send to my email/PM (personal mail) for detailed legal advise.


With regards,

Legal Expert

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 April 2018

Mr Krishan Dutt is just pasting the same comment on each and every post.  In this case the person has just explained no case.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 April 2018

Your case is not complicated.  Rather you have no case (simple or complicated).


Case (s) as well as complication (s) are yet to be created by you and you are yet to make your life miserable.


The hard fact is that you lost money while dreaming and now it is morning and you are awake.  No recovery is possible even if you waste four times the amount on advocates (which you will do).

1 Like


I have never said I want to recover money rather I said I do not want to give her more money.

Recently I also asked her why she is expecting money from me, she should find someone who she likes and ask him to help her so later if she decides she can also marry him.

Things are at the same stage as before - we both still meet and chat with each other.

TGK REDDI   03 April 2018

The penultimate paragraph of your query more or less reveals that you intend to recover the amount you paid to her.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     04 April 2018

Addition to the views of Mr Reddy I will add that you  have no yet decided whether or not you want to live peacefully or youwant further problems.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query