LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mahendra Thawani   18 April 2018

Documents req for relinquish deed, legal heir and succession

My brother passed away last year and does not have any children. He leaves behind his wife. He did not leave a will. We are Hindus. My brothers estate consists of 1/2 flat, approx. 40 lacs in bank, and a small travel agency whose partners are my brother and his wife. The partnership is the owner of the small shop. 

The flat and shop are in Mumbai, in co-operative housing societies. We are four sisters and two brothers (brother expired this July).

I am a 1/2 owner in the flat, and my deceased brother was owner of the other half. My sister-in-law is willing to relinquish the 1/2 flat (and the other assets) to me for a sum of money.  Since I am the co-owner of the flat, I expect a low stamp duty rate. How much is the stamp duty in such a case? 

I plan to, in below order, 

1) execute and register a relinquish deed for the entire estate and pay her the agreed sum of money
2) get a power of attorney from my sister-in-law
3) apply for legal heirship on behalf of my sister-in-law since that is a quicker process
4) apply for a succession certificate on behalf of my sister-in-law since immovable property is involved

Since the relinquish deed would have been executed first, the entire estate would come in my name after steps 2,3 and 4 are completed. I would like to execute the relinquish deed first, since it is irrevocable, as a safeguard against any change of mind once the legal heirship and succession certificates are obtained in my sister-in-law’s name. 

The question is, can I execute a relinquish deed prior to heirship and succession certificate?

Do I need original property papers, and the original will, for each of the steps 1,3 and 4?

I have copies of the documents, and my three sisters will sign affidavits testifying to the family settlement they signed in 2000, and to the genuiness of the will left by by father leaving the flat to myself and my brother. The society transferred the flat in our names on that basis. We never mutated the property and the title is still in my fathers name, though the share certificate of the flat are in mine and my deceased brothers name. My fathers will was not probated but ALL my siblings signed a family settlement in the year 2000 when my father died, testifying that there was no need for probate as they agreed to the terms of my fathers  will.

Now the only only sister who will not sign the affidavits testifying to the documents they signed in 2000, and to the genuiness of the will left by my father, is one sister holding the original documents and refusing to let us have it.

How should I proceed in the situation I am in?   

Learning

3 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     18 April 2018

You are asking for trouble for all of you - yourself and your sister-in-law - both in terms of Income Tax Law and Registration Act, 1908.

If you so wish, please get in touch with me, either through my email-id given in my profile or my mobile number.

Asgher Mahdi (Advocate & Legal Advisor)     18 April 2018

What has been stated by you itself have answer. Though, to answer your first question is no and to your question NO.2, the answer is yes.One way you are confused at the out set you said the property is without will, then bringing into record the coparecener have a copy of will.? Get yourself clear before asking query.

Mahendra Thawani   18 April 2018

Thanks for the response. My father left a will in the year 2000 naming me and my brothers the co-owners of the flat. I only have copies of thhat will.  My brother, who died in 2017, died without leaving a will. It is my brothers estate we are talking about. 

What documents are needed? I can have the societies for the flat provide me a replacement share certificate showing me and my brothers as shareholders, and the society for the shop do likewise, and the banks provide letters showing the amounts in the bank at the time of death, and the withdrawal of the money by my sister.  

Are those documents sufficient for a succession certificate? For registration of the release deed?. 

And my plan was to execute a relinquish deed but hold-off on registration till the succession was done. I understand that for each month I would face a penalty, until four months penalty. And if succession took longer than 4 months, I understand there are provisions for that in the registration act. 

In view of the circumstances what course of action would you recommend?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register