LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar (No)     05 August 2017

Criminal defamation

One of my friend rival has sent a caveat in his name stating that he has filed an I.P. My friend has filed a Criminal Defamation suit against his rival. But the court has dismissed the petition stating that mere filing a caveat doesn't amounts to publication and criminal defamation as no third party knows about the incident. My friend has appealed to the next court stating that filing caveat and affidavit in court of law is publication and it amounts to Criminal Defamation. But that court also confirms the orders of lower court and dismissed the petition. Now my friend wants to appeal this in High court. But before that I wants to know that filing a caveat amounts to publication or not and can we file Criminal Defamation against our rivals ?

Learning

3 Replies

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     05 August 2017

Filing of caveat is not defamation. Defamation case in public tarnishing the image of a person. No purpose would be served in approaching high court.  

Kumar (No)     05 August 2017

Thankyou very much for your immediate reply and suggestion sir.

Kumar (No)     06 August 2017

One more thing I want to confirm to you sir is my friend has not filed any I.P. any court whether within or outside India. Now can you please confirm to me that filing a false caveat or affidavit in the Honorable Court of law amounts to crime or not ? can we fight for criminal defamation suit in this regard or not ?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register