LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Karthik (IT Professional)     05 October 2021

Father's illegal second wife and his progeny

Apologies, it's a long story but I'll try to cut it to as short as possible. Please bear with me.

About 20 years back, when I was about 11 years old, my father has married another woman. He also has a son of 18 year with his second wife now. My mother is illiterate and was helpless at that time and couldn't stop him from getting married again. All she could do with the help of our elder relatives was to make my father write an agreement on bond paper, stating that all the property except one house where he lives with his second wife and kid, belongs to us (kids) and he wouldn't involve his second wife or progeny there of in the properties mentioned in agreement or in our lives. This agreement was made in year 2001. In return my father asked my mother to sign an agreement agreeing to his second marriage, but my mother didn't as everything happened against her will. We still lived together with our father and he maintained both the families, without causing any major disturbances to us because of his second family.

Fast forward to 2020, we moved to a newly constructed house about 300 meters from our old house. About an year back, our sister has sold her house that was gifted to her by my father. My father was against the sale of the house which resulted in a friction, so he left our new house and started living in our old house since a year. Recently we visited our old house to check few things and surprised to see our father has started a business there with this second wife's son actively involved in day to day business activities. We were irate that resulted in verbal abuses, my father argued that it's his wish and everything is his property and that we don't have any right to question him. We've lodged a police complaint in near by station for his second marriage and the agreement made to not involve his second wife or progeny. The Police weren't really interested, but finally filed FIR reluctantly and improperly after 4 days of begging around with them, under sections of 494 and 498(a), mentioning only my father as accused but not his second wife.

For our father and his son through second wife, it's business as usual despite all this. We really want to take some action on my father, his second wife and his son. Can we book my father and his second wife together under 420 (cheating my mother and getting married) and my father alone under 125 for my mother's maintenance? My only doubt is that 20 years past, can we book my father now. Because this was the same reason why Police were reluctant and very careless about our complaint.

Note: All our properties are Notary based, not registered.

Learning

7 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     05 October 2021

An adult could sue his or her parent for any tort, whether personal or related to property. ... For example, a child usually can sue a parent for negligence when the parent has failed to provide food or medical care, but not when the parent has merely exercised parental authority.

1 Like

Anusha Singh   05 October 2021

As per your query it is understood that you need information regarding the second marriage of your father and your mother’s right in your father’s property.

A wife is entitled to inherit an equal share of her husband’s property. However, if the husband has excluded her from his property through a will, she does not have a right to her husband’s property. Moreover, a wife has a right to her husband’s ancestral property. She has a right to reside in her marital home and a right to be maintained by her husband.

If a man marries, without formally and legally divorcing his first wife, the second wife and her children's rights become limited. The law views the first wife as the legal wife till the time the court finalizes the divorce.

Polygamy or having more than one wife is prohibited under Hindu law. Hence, if the first wife is living and is not legally divorced, then the second marriage assumes no legal significance. This means that the second wife will have no claim over her husband’s property. However, her children would stand to inherit their genetic father’s property.

If the second marriage is legally valid and occurs after the first wife’s death or after the man is legally divorced from his first wife, then the second wife would get all the rights a wife would have over the husband’s property. These rights would be over the husband’s ancestral as well as self-acquired property.

Hence, the second wife's right over her husband’s property depends upon the legal status of the marriage. It is important to check if the man you are marrying already has a living spouse or not.

Thus, the property rights of a wife in India over her husband’s property depend on a variety of factors. It is important to know how a wife can lay claim over her husband’s property and what is her share in the same.

Also, regarding your question if you can file the case against your father for having a second wife when his first wife is alive and not divorced the answer is “Yes” you can file a case against them and challenge the validity of their marriage even after 20 years.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Anusha Singh

1 Like

Karthik (IT Professional)     20 February 2022

Originally posted by : Anusha Singh

As per your query it is understood that you need information regarding the second marriage of your father and your mother’s right in your father’s property.A wife is entitled to inherit an equal share of her husband’s property. However, if the husband has excluded her from his property through a will, she does not have a right to her husband’s property. Moreover, a wife has a right to her husband’s ancestral property. She has a right to reside in her marital home and a right to be maintained by her husband.If a man marries, without formally and legally divorcing his first wife, the second wife and her children's rights become limited. The law views the first wife as the legal wife till the time the court finalizes the divorce.Polygamy or having more than one wife is prohibited under Hindu law. Hence, if the first wife is living and is not legally divorced, then the second marriage assumes no legal significance. This means that the second wife will have no claim over her husband’s property. However, her children would stand to inherit their genetic father’s property.If the second marriage is legally valid and occurs after the first wife’s death or after the man is legally divorced from his first wife, then the second wife would get all the rights a wife would have over the husband’s property. These rights would be over the husband’s ancestral as well as self-acquired property.Hence, the second wife's right over her husband’s property depends upon the legal status of the marriage. It is important to check if the man you are marrying already has a living spouse or not.Thus, the property rights of a wife in India over her husband’s property depend on a variety of factors. It is important to know how a wife can lay claim over her husband’s property and what is her share in the same.Also, regarding your question if you can file the case against your father for having a second wife when his first wife is alive and not divorced the answer is “Yes” you can file a case against them and challenge the validity of their marriage even after 20 years.Hope it helps! Regards,Anusha Singh

Thank you very much for your very detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. Sorry for the delay in my response.

1 Like

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     23 February 2022

His son by the second marriage is also his biological son and will have all the rights of a son regarding inheritence. Second marriage and business along with his second wife or son are two different things. As long as your father uses his own property he can involve in his business anyone of his own choice.

Karthik (IT Professional)     23 February 2022

Update: The case lodged by us through police (on sections 494 and 498-a) against my father has been filed with the court and we have received the notice from the court to attend NATIONAL LOK ADALATH on 12th March, 2022 if my mother (complainant) and the father (the accused) are willing to compromise. We initially thought that this is a notice from court for hearing but later understood that this is an initial call for some kind of a settlement between both parties without following due diligence, if both parties are willing. I have attached the notice for reference.

Because we weren't sure of how quick and effective the police action would be with regards to the case filed by my mother (due to their initial reluctance and the manner in which they took it up), we have separately hired a lawyer and the lawyer has suggested that we file DVC against my father and his second wife in addition to the cases filed by the police against my father. In the DVC, the maintenance expenses for my mother from my father are also demanded. We went ahead and our lawyer has filed the case but no notices served yet (in progress). Our ultimate goal is my mother wants my father to write most of the property on our (I and my younger brother) names, as she fears he may transfer his wealth to his son with his second wife. Please note that the properties in context are not ancestral, it's all earned by my father himself. It is complicated to explain the whole story (that happened since my childhood) but to put it simply, my mother took care of us financially as well (I, my younger brother and elder sister) for the most part with her hard work, while my father is a very frugal, money minded womaniser with no responsibility towards the family. He has invested almost all of his earnings into property investments as he loves doing it. My mother's claim (and so does ours) is that we have equal right in the property he has earned over the years because we believe he did earn at the cost of being irresponsible towards us on our finances and expenses, as a result of which our mother has to earn money with her hard work for several years to upbring and take care of us. He has also maintained illicit affairs with several women in past in addition to the second wife that he has now.

We have called our lawyer and asked about this notice, in an attempt to seek suggestions from her in demanding what we need from our father, but she has advised us not to go for this hearing as it's not mandatory and they will try to compromise my mother and that she would serve notices to my father soon on the DVC she has filed on behalf of us. 

My question is, is there any disadvantage to go for this Lok Adalath hearing? Because even if we go, my mother would put her demands on the table and if they're objectively and materially addressed to our satisfaction, only then my mother will take the case back. We think our father may negotiate on our demands, as he may be afraid of the repercussions of taking the case forward. In this case there would be no need of years long court battle which may result in if the case is taken forward. I'm confused why our lawyer strongly advised us against going to the hearing or answering phone calls from Police regarding this so called "compromise", and whether it's in the best interest of us or not. Please clarify.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attached File : 811831 20220223200313 lok adalath notice.jpg downloaded: 30 times

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     24 February 2022

Your demands are with regard to property that has been accumulated by your father. You cannot achieve them through DVA. Through DVA you may get maintenance expenses. Through Lok Adalat there is a chance of your getting property rights. What is important is that you must be clear and firm in your demands and should not be led into committing something which you will have to regret later. Take the help of knowledgeable well-wishers. Do not agree for things in a single hearing at the adalat. Use the first hearing to know the stand of your father. Ask for adjournment, come back, discuss among yourself what should be your demands and conditions. Put them forward at the next hearing. Finally after several hearings you may come to a compromise. Or it can be a total failure and you may have to go to regular court. Regular courts can be long and tedious and one cannot be sure of achieving the desired results.

1 Like

Karthik (IT Professional)     24 February 2022

Originally posted by : MPS RAMANI

Your demands are with regard to property that has been accumulated by your father. You cannot achieve them through DVA. Through DVA you may get maintenance expenses. Through Lok Adalat there is a chance of your getting property rights. What is important is that you must be clear and firm in your demands and should not be led into committing something which you will have to regret later. Take the help of knowledgeable well-wishers. Do not agree for things in a single hearing at the adalat. Use the first hearing to know the stand of your father. Ask for adjournment, come back, discuss among yourself what should be your demands and conditions. Put them forward at the next hearing. Finally after several hearings you may come to a compromise. Or it can be a total failure and you may have to go to regular court. Regular courts can be long and tedious and one cannot be sure of achieving the desired results.

Thanks for your detailed response. We will be careful in Lok Adalath hearing and keep in mind your advices.  If that is really the case, I don't know why our lawyer strongly advised us against going for Lok Adalath hearing. Is it in best interest of lawyer and not us? Because if we get what we want through Lok Adalath hearing, then we will have to withdraw the DVA and then the lawyer may not get any further payment? Actually the lawyer was not really responsive and our experience so far with her hasn't been satisfactory. To me it seemed like once we got this Lok Adalath notice to her knowledge, she has sped up the process from her side for DVA and my mother was called to court multiple times for some procedures on DVA. And one more thing is the lawyer herself isn't present there in the court to assist us(my mother went there a few times earlier as well because she called) but another man(likely her assistant or not sure as we're totally new to this thing). At least it seemed like she sped up things from her side after we got this Lok Adalath to her notice, I may be wrong as well. 

Agreed on your point that through DVA my mother may only get maintenance, this was also made clear by our lawyer that we cannot fight directly for properties as they're all technically earned by my father himself. Intention was to frighten him through court proceedings and tedious procedures. We think he may fear the punishment and may be willing to compromise with us.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register