Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Don't accept domestic violence!

Don't take the abuse

T+  ·   T-
Bell Bajao: Take a call on domestic violence now. Photo: Rajeev Bhatt
The Hindu Bell Bajao: Take a call on domestic violence now. Photo: Rajeev Bhatt

Domestic violence is one of the most common but least reported crimes. As the recent incident involving an Indian diplomat in London showed, it can happen to anyone irrespective of economic or social status. You can change the dynamics of the abusive relationship or take recourse to the law

India was in the headlines recently for a story that reverberated around the world. Was it a story that made us proud to be Indians? Unfortunately, the answer is no. The story that hit the headlines was about domestic abuse. India's third highest diplomat in London was accused of assaulting his wife.

The rush of publicity which followed did not help the already tense situation and the traumatic subject of abuse once again reared its ugly head. Newspaper headlines from all over the world had their own point of view that went something like this. India is a country “where domestic abuse and disrespect for women seem to be the norm.” And another said “Women (in India) are sometimes abused to the point of being killed for not ‘towing the line' as it were.”

The parents of the diplomat branded his wife amoral and accused her of trying to destroy their son's reputation along with that of the country. The neighbours reportedly called the police but no arrest was made as the diplomat claimed diplomatic immunity. India's Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao has warned potential offenders that there will be zero tolerance for incidents of s*xual misconduct and domestic violence. “Any act of domestic violence or s*xual misconduct will necessitate the immediate recall of the officer and his dependants.” However, the officer is still in the service of the Indian Administrative service and it is yet not clear if charges will be filed against him.

The reality is abuse happens all over the world and there are always people who see the victim as the wrong-doer and try to subdue, smear and terrorise the injured party. Let us first have a look at what exactly is domestic abuse.

What is domestic abuse?

It is the establishment of control and fear in a relationship using violence. But how can one human being allow another human being such control over them? Says Anita of her abusive relationship with her husband: “It was an act of ownership. I was his toy to do whatever he wanted. If I disagreed in any way it was hell. Soon I just let him have his way without any protest. Each violent act just made me feel guiltier.”

There are different types of abuse. There is physical, s*xual, monetary, social and emotional abuse. Domestic abuse or violence is not just hitting, or fighting or arguing. It is an abuse of power. Physical abuse is the most easily recognised form of abuse. It can be any form of hitting, shaking, burning, pinching, biting, choking, throwing, beating and other actions that cause physical injury, leave marks or cause pain.

Domestic violence is among the most prevalent and among the least reported forms of cruel behaviour. Women are again the target but it also extends towards children. Although women are in the majority they are not the only victims. Many men too are abused by a spouse or partner.

An abuser wants to control the situation and the person, places blame on others and has little control over impulses and suffers low self esteem. All forms of domestic abuse have one main purpose: to gain and maintain control over the victim.

Domestic abuse and violence can happen to anyone and yet the problem is overlooked, excused or denied. This happens more often when the abuse is both psychological and physical. “I just felt guilty for making him angry. My husband was so good to me most of the time that when he gave me a couple of slaps I felt it was ok,” says Anju, who is still with her partner. According to Dr. Bhambri, a physician who has seen and counselled many women in abusive relationships, “In some cases it becomes a routine. The women in such cases are emotionally and s*xually attached to their spouse and take the beatings as normal. In effect she becomes used to it.”

Across the board

An abuser does not play fair. An abuser uses fear, guilt, shame and intimidation to wear you down. Domestic abuse does not differentiate. It occurs across the board. It occurs within all age groups, ethnic backgrounds and economic levels.

One thing that is often heard in an abusive relationship is the abuser say that the victim made them do it. This is, of course, quite ludicrous. It is important to remember that there is no justification whatsoever for abuse.

Remember the abuser is good at manipulating victims. The abused sometimes does not recognise that he is abused, battered, depressed, scared, drained, and confused. Do remember that as a human being you deserve to feel valued, respected and safe. The oft-repeated healthy relationships based on give and take are the foundation of any relationship.

One has to learn to compromise and work with compassion on the relationship and each other. Communication is the key and the first step towards what is a tough battle to a better relationship. According to Dr. Bhambri, most men are violent because they see their spouse as economically inferior and physically weaker. Changed perceptions and mutual respect are key to a better relationship.

What are the reasons for abuse?

One must emphasise right at the outset that there should never be reasons for abuse. It is something that should never be condoned. However, we must look at the why behind such behaviour though there can never be any justification for such an act. Very often the battered might be mentally ill, or even abused themselves or not even realise that their behaviour is contrary.

Domestic control is not about losing control but more about having absolute control. These people are vindictive and manipulative and it is all about controlling the other person. The build-up to violence and the resultant repentant stage is a vicious cycle that occurs and reoccurs in a set pattern.

The important mark is realisation. You are on the road to recovery if you can face the truth and face your feelings. Coming out of denial is a huge step forward. Managing your shame and anger and overcoming fear of ostracisation are all steps towards becoming a better member of society. Agrees Sanjay, “I had a lot of anger within me and was hitting out all the time. I went through hell before I even realised what I was doing. Hitting had become a habit.” Today he is calmer and wiser but has lost his family as his wife left him with the children. Putting them in jail is a temporary measure and can sometimes lead to greater violence.

So where are we at today?

The reality today is that there is an urgent need to address and understand the issue. But progress is slow because attitudes are deeply entrenched and to some extent because effective strategies to address domestic violence are still being defined. As a result women worldwide continue to suffer, with estimates varying from 20 to 50 per cent from country to country.

This appalling toll will not be eased until families, governments, institutions and civil society and organisations address the issue directly and openly. “We cannot function in isolation and all of us must take the responsibility to curb this menace of domestic violence against women” said Sheila Dixit on inaugurating a campaign called ‘Bell Bajao'.

The Domestic Violence Act 2005 is the first significant act in India to recognise domestic abuse as a punishable offence. A woman who is a victim of domestic violence will have the right to the services of the police, shelter homes and medical establishments. She also has the right to simultaneously file her own case. “The law is there for women with children who are trying to escape an abusive marriage,” says Manisha who has worked with countless women wishing to find some peace in a physically violent marriage.

What is important to remember is that anyone in an abusive relationship can influence and change the dynamics of the relationship. The trauma and misery can be changed. It requires strength and overcoming tough hurdles but it can be achieved.

Signs of domestic abuse

Abuse could be verbal or violence that leads to physical injury. A fear of your partner who is in control which means you do not want to anger him. Self-loathing, desperation and helplessness are emotions that vie with each other constantly and which also has a fair amount of self-questioning. Possessive behaviour and extreme jealousy and forced s*x are other signs. You are in an abusive relationship if these points echo your relationship.

Pattern of abuse

All organisations agree that there is a general pattern that takes place in domestic abuse.

There is the build up phase when the tension increases. Verbal attacks increase followed by an explosive phase with violent outbursts. Once the violence has been unleashed and spent then remorse sets in. This is a period of self doubt and also of laying the blame on the other person. After which there is a time of promises that it will never occur again. This is followed by the Honey moon phase where everything seems alright and there are no problems whatsoever.

If you suspect domestic abuse

Speak up and do ask for help for yourself or others. It is very important to listen and validate and offer your help and support. However, it is of paramount importance that you do not wait, pass judgement, ignore or blame anyone. The most important point to remember is not to wait but act now, at once, today, this very moment. Seema's sister was brutally beaten and barely managed to escape with her life. Says Seema, “I wish I had pushed her more to confide in me. I saw the signs but closed my mind when she would not be drawn.” She adds remorsefully “I just let it be when she needed me the most.”

Learning

5 Replies

(Guest)

SOURCE - https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/Kusum_Lata_Sawhney/article1492269.ece

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     26 February 2011

don't accept violence

1 Like

(Guest)

Sarvesh jee I did not understand why you wrote the same thing again

Ambika (NA)     26 February 2011

@ Sarvesh ji

Thanks. Your post gives context to explain why doemstic violence, in spite of its being a dimenstion of VIOLENCE , needs and deserves a separate mention and to be differentiated from violence in general because it has very distinct features which is not captured by the blanket term violence.

I will ask you to allow me to explain  that doemstic violence stands out from violence in general for several reasons. Historical domestic violence never got a separate mention until for past one and half decade or so but still it did not get recognition which it got in the past decade in India. 

While violence was connected to the public space, the strict division between public and private domain and the invisibility of private domain made the domestic violence invisible. Thus though the domestic violence, was always there, it remained behind the closed doors and never came to the public domain.

Domestic violence covers some other such issues which public violence did not cover. The issues related to reproductive health of women, and control over her own s*xuality in the non martial as well as marital relationship were never talked about excepting in the cases of rape and vionece in the public spaces. Public violence is never so subtle as domestic violence, so domestic violence include both gross and subtle violence which susbsits in doemstic relationships which we normally think are guided by a bond of love and affection. The recognition of dometic violence broke this myth and highlighted that violence in the domestic relationships is taken for granted in the name of love and in the name of boundaries that are set for each set of relationships: boundaries set by damaging stereotypes, socially and culturally ascribed behaviours and expectations from each set of relationships which were not necessarily inherently just. 

Domestic violence is different from violence though it includes all aspect of violence in the sense that it's existence was denied for a long time in the name of family honor and shame. It brought among other things violence in the marital relatiohship to  the forefront and out in the public domain. It questioned the myth of the sacredness of the marital bond in the garb of which all dimensions of violence was perpetrated : emotional , psychological, economic and s*xual  and so on. It also questioned practices which damaged the full potentials of human beings in the domestic relationships in both natal and merial families. 

And that is why domestic violence need a separate mention and distinct policies and legislation to deal with it. 

So Sarvesh ji , with you I would say Never Accept violence , but then add like the news heading,

and Never accept Domestic Violence .

If someone wishes to see the resource base of Bell Bajao, please visit . This site is dedicated to the theme Halt Domestic violence and has good material on the theme. 

www.bellbajao.org

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register