Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Siva (STA)     30 March 2012

Cash held in a public sector bank

Hi All,

I am a resident in Chennai. My father is a retired state government employee. His pension payments were made to the Canara Bank through a cheque. Unfortunately there was slight spelling mistake in his name, however the savings account number was mentioned correctly in the cheque leaf.

The amount in cheque was not deposited to his savings account. However the pension department conveys that amount has been deducted from their account. When he enquired the Canara Bank branch, they said the cheque has held due to account details mismatch. This happened more than a year ago (in 2010). My father used to constantly enquire at the Canara bank branch and its head office, all went in the deaf ears. Nothing has progressed so far.

My father is completely depressed and disappointed by the behaviour of Canara Bank. He is clueless and not sure how to proceed further and bring the bank in control so that they process his request on priority.

Please suggest a way for my father. I am willing to help him, but I dont know where to start.

"I am not sure whether I am posting my concern on the right forum or page."

Thanks,

Siva

Learning

3 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 March 2012

You may discuss with BM of the bank and a letter by your father stating person as per name in the a/c and in the cheque is one and the same person can resolve the matter.

Does your father have acknowledgment of the cheque deposit slip?

Has you father lodged a complaint in writing under acknowledgment to the BM/ Regional Office/Circle Office or any other senior official?

“Customer Meet is conducted by the Bank on 15th of every month (next working day, if it happens to be Saturday or Public Holiday) at Head Office/Circle Office/Regional Office/Branches to receive customer complaints/suggestions for improvement.”

Your father may lodge a complaint with Nodal officer and Chairman of the bank ( with a copy to RBI, BCSBI) covering all representation made till date including by email/letter/in person/by phone and mention the names of all bank officials to whom representations were made.  Let them state the reasons in writing.

The contact details of the bank officials are to be displayed in the bank and are also available at the web site of the bank.

If the cheque was not sent for clearing, or was returned back by their bankers of PF office, or there was a mismatch in a/c details bank has to return the cheque with memo citing reasons.

This bank is under the preview of RTI. You can lodge RTI application and ask to provide the certified copy of cheque deposit form submitted by your father, form vide which cheque was sent for clearing, whether the cheque was cleared or not by bankers of PF office and why the amount is not credited to a/c of depositor, and why the cheque is not returned to depositor if the amount is not credited? Let them state the reasons in writing.

Has the PF office stated in writing that cheque has debited from their a/c.

If the nodal officer/Chairman/CPIO of the bank does not provide relief you may approach a competent and experienced lawyer well versed with consumer forum cases and your lawyer shall issue legal notice and pull the bank to consumer court.

Is you r father member of the pensioners association? They can accompany you to the bank and agitate. You can publish the complaint in prominent local newspapers. This shall move the bank. If the bank officials are rude, you may lodge a complaint with police. You may accompany your father to the bank and record the response of the bank

(Audio/visual). While you record you should remain gentle.

You must have done everything you could do by now.

Shri. S RAMAN

Chairman & Managing Director

Canara Bank
Head Office
112, J C Road
BANGALORE - 560 002

Smt. ARCHANA S. BHARGAVA

Executive Director

Canara Bank
Head Office
112, J.C. Road
BANGALORE -560002
Email Id: edscrt@canarabank.com

Executive Director

Attached File : 775676851 nod-offcrs-c-ombudsman-01032011(1).doc, 775676851 officers handling complaints and 115-pno-fp(1).doc, 775676851 bcsbi codeofbanks aug09 18012010.pdf downloaded: 158 times

Satya Narayana Palukuru (Advocates & Mediators.)     31 March 2012

"His pension payments were made to the Canara Bank through a cheque. Unfortunately there was slight spelling mistake in his name, however the savings account number was mentioned correctly in the cheque leaf.

The amount in cheque was not deposited to his savings account. However the pension department conveys that amount has been deducted from their account. When he enquired the Canara Bank branch, they said the cheque has held due to account details mismatch. This happened more than a year ago (in 2010). My father used to constantly enquire at the Canara bank branch and its head office, all went in the deaf ears. Nothing has progressed ."

Who has not deposited the cheque? Has it come to u or to the bank ?

now time lapsed bring these facts to pension department along with non payment advice of branch and send a letter under acknowldgement. How can pension deaprtment says amount has been debited? is it lying with bank?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     31 March 2012

Mr. Palukuru has given valuable advice. Kindly follow it.

You can quote the statement of the PF office (mention name, designation, address phone number of the PF official if these are known to your father) that amount has been debited from their a/c and that correct a/c number of father was written by PF office on the body of the cheque, hence cheque could be credited only to that a/c number, and initiate your agitation.

The banks maintain image of the cheque. You can ask for the copy of the cheque and may mention that you are willing to pay the fee for obtaining copy of the cheque, or you can demand copy of the cheque in your RTI application.

It shall be pertinent to mention that in another matter involving payment made to Electricity board, we were able to obtain image of the 1.5 years cheque from HDFC bank, without any fee. This bank maintains image thru third party arrangement.

You can also raise the matter with PF office thru RTI route. You can also raise the matter with PF office thru PRO, RPFC and escalate to CPFC. Their addresses are available at website:

www.epfindia.gov.in

www.epfindia.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register