Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Capacity to make will;medical evidence is not last word

Capacity to make will;Medical evidence is not last word

In matters of mental capacity, the evidence of doctors is often conclusive. It is not often that the opinion of a lawyer about mental capacity trumps that of a doctor, and rightly so, since doctors applying scientific diagnostic criteria and experience have the expertise to properly answer questions about mental capacity. However, in some situations, a Court may prefer non-expert evidence of capacity to the extent it is focused on a particular issue, supported by outside evidence, and benefits from a particular legal test for mental capacity.
In Moore v. Drummond, handed down by the British Columbia Supreme Court in November of last year, this is exactly what the court did. The deceased, Ms. Drummond, had made a will very near the end of her life. She left everything to her neighbours, and nothing to her son.

https://www.lawweb.in/2013/09/capacity-to-make-willmedical-evidence.html

Learning

1 Replies

DylanLayne   13 November 2020

I am failing to understand the concept of capacity to make will in this article. I think I will send this article for review to college paper writing and then re read it. I hope I can understand it then.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register