Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jyotishwar Bhosale (Advocate)     15 April 2013

Can advocate be applicant u/s 20(2) of minimum wages act 1948

Dear Sr. Advocates/Ld. Colleagues,

My question is with respect to section 20(2) of Minimum wages Act, 1948, which states (2) Where an employee has any claim of the nature referred to in sub-section (1) the employee himself or any legal practitioner or any official of a registered trade union authorized in writing to act on his behalf or any Inspector or any person acting with the permission of the authority appointed under sub-section (1) may apply to such authority”

As per Bar Council of India rules, Advocate can not be party to the case, but to the contrary sec 20(2) permits Advocate/legal practitioner to make an application.

Does this mean that Advocate can be an applicant in the case, on behalf of workers? (Advocate ABC V/s. XYZ Company).
(I have one case where this has happened, requesting to please help me out with some relevant citations to oppose the same)

Thanking you.

Learning

6 Replies

advocate praveen (prop.)     15 April 2013

No,

Dear Jyotishwar, Pls. read carefully the quote.  As per the section 20(2) of M.W. Act, it is clear that any employee present the application through the legal practitioner.

While you are asking that an advocate can be an applicant under this Act,

regards

Jyotishwar Bhosale (Advocate)     15 April 2013

Dear Pravin,

The sub-section 2 of section 20 of Minimum Wages Act reads as follows: "(2) Where an employee has any claim of the nature referred to in sub-section (1) the employee himself or any legal practitioner or any official of a registered trade union authorized in writing to act on his behalf or any Inspector or any person acting with the permission of the authority appointed under sub-section (1) may apply to such authority for a direction under sub-section (3) :"

Its pertenant to note that "through" word is missing in the said sub-section.

Further I have attacehd one judgement of patna High Court where the locus-standi of Labour Inspector, was held fair enough (relevant portion is highlited). So, will that principal apply to Advocate/Legal practitioners too?

Attached File : 315064204 g.s. dugal & co. (private) ltd. vs labour inspector (central) on 21 september, 1966.pdf downloaded: 153 times

Karan Shah (Corporate Lawyer)     15 April 2013

Dear Jyotishwar,

Please read properly...it doesnt say 'through'
but it says 'on his behalf'

Where an employee has any claim of the nature referred to in sub-section (1) the employee himself or any legal practitioner or any official of a registered trade union authorized in writing to act on his behalf or any Inspector or any person acting with the permission of the authority appointed under sub-section (1) may apply to such authority”

I hope this satisfes your concern.

Regards,

Karan Shah

Jyotishwar Bhosale (Advocate)     16 April 2013

I guess the proper interpretations would be :

"Where an employee has any claim of the nature referred to in sub-section (1) the employee himself or any legal practitioner or any official of a registered trade union authorized in writing to act on his behalf or any Inspector or any person acting with the permission of the authority appointed under sub-section (1) may apply to such authority”

So the phrase "on his behalf" applies only to the  official of a registered trade union.

"OR" is seprating the phrases.

Correct me if I am wrong...

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     16 April 2013

Dear All, This the basic thing that advocate acts for and behalf of the applicant/petitioner and/or plaintiff. he cannot act as party. Moreover the applicant has to give authorisation letter in favour of advocate, so that he can act as Authorised Representative before Authority. there is no relation of employer-employee between the advocate and management, so the case wouldnot long last. Regards Rajiv Bhasin Advocate

Jyotishwar Bhosale (Advocate)     16 April 2013

With due respect, the fact it that the Hon'ble Labour Court has admitted the matter on minimum wages u/s 20(2), where advocate is a party to the case (Advocate ABC V/s. XYZ Company).

I am appearing for the company, requesting to please help me out with some relevant citations to oppose the same.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register